• Register
  • Help

Topic: Message code for GigaStudio 3?

Share/Bookmark

Message code for GigaStudio 3?

I’m using GigaStudio3 with Sibelius 3. However, I would like to capture audio with synchronizing midi with GigaStudio 3. Do you know what is the Start and Stop midi message code for GigaStudio 3?
    Thanks in advance.
    Korayus

Re: Message code for GigaStudio 3?

Giga uses the standard MIDI Start and Stop messages. It expects them on Port 1.

In Sibelius on any staff that goes to Giga MIDI Port 1, select the first note and add technique text (Ctrl-T) ~ShFA. That will start the recording. There are two options for stopping. One is to manually stop Giga (that's what I've been doing), the other is to add ~ShFC to the final note. The problem is that any resonance will get cut off. This is true for any sequencer or notation program. To get a proper capture you will want to add a silent note a couple of bars from the end of the piece, and add ~ShFC to that. I stop Giga manually so I don't have to junk up my notation. For the sequencer it's another story - I don't mind adding a junk note at the end. It doesn't matter if the sequence looks pretty.

BTW, ~ShFB is the MIDI Continue/Pause message.

Giga doesn't need a MIDI clock or any other synchronization. All of the timing is from the Notation/Sequencer program.

I just did some captures from Sibelius 3 a few days ago with GS3.03 over MOL+. It worked perfectly. GS2.5 works the same way. Sibelius 2 doesn't. It didn't support Start/Stop.

-JF

Thank you very much for your help.
    Happy new year.

korayus

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Giga uses the standard MIDI Start and Stop messages. It expects them on Port 1.
    -JF
    Hi, JF;
    Would you - by any chance - know what to set up in Cubase SX3 so that GS2.5's Midi Synchronization (audio capture) can receive midi start and stop messages? My GS's audio capture's "record" button doesn't wait for SX to begin, but just starts recording as soon as I click "record". (Yes, I have Audio Capture's "Synchronize to Midi" selected.)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    - Michael

Hi

under Transport /sync setup

check "midi clock destinations" /nemesys midi port 1 and

"always send start message"

Quote Originally Posted by karin66
    under Transport /sync setup . . .
    Many thanks, karin66 !

Sorry for digging up an old thread.. but does anyone know how to send the sequencer start code from finale? I've tried lots of variations on the ~ShFA, but it seems the midi dump in finale is limited to 3 values. Any ideas?

Go Back to forum