• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bass Traps... Do ya got 'em?

Share/Bookmark

Question Bass Traps... Do ya got 'em?

Bass trapping is not discussed often in these parts and I'm curious as to "why"... I just finished getting all the supplies I need to build the equivalent of the RealTrap bass traps. (Pine frames, Roxul 4lb 4" rockwool, light fabric, etc...)

I've been doing my homework for about 3 months now and have decided to build these because my small, hardwood floored "studio" has a muddy low end and flutter echoes. (I now have decent monitors so I know it's the room.) I guess my question is, for those of you who have built your own or bought RealTraps, are you pleased with them? What successes (or failures) should I expect from trapping by 9' by 11' room?
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Re: Bass Traps... Do ya got 'em?

I've been playing around with some bass traps in my room, and it's helping with the low-end definition.

But I don't know that I'd start with that. The first thing is to deaden the front of your room. That will get rid of the echoes and improve things 100%.

There's an old wives' tale about putting a mirror on the side walls; if you see the speakers, slap as much foam as possible on the sides, because you're going to hear comb-filtering. Not so. If you do hear that, it's coming from the same angle as the speakers, i.e. the front.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

How high is the ceiling in this room?

Ck, thanks. I already have all the plan designs though, and I've been to most of those sites. I work with wood and this isn't much of an issue. I just want to know anybody's personal experiences and their opinions about using them. Thanks for the links though!

Nick, Yeah I hear you. I have rear ported monitors and I have taken precautions with minimizing reflections starting with the wall behind my monitors (to my front) with a broad spectrum trap. The foam on side walls would help with flutter echos but would dampen my high frequencies as well. I'm not to worried about the parallel sides of the room as I have heavy drapes to my left and to my rear. My flutter echoes are pretty slight and I think mainly due to my floor ceiling. If after trapping they are still there I'll throw down a rug maybe. I like my slightly "bright" sound in this room and I'm pretty hesitant to put up foam.
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Bruce, It's eight feet high.

Bass trapping is not discussed often in these parts and I'm curious as to "why"
    hmmm.....because this is sample libraries discussion forum?

In all seriousness, bass trapping is important and I would say overlooked by 99% of home studio settings. EM has run some great articles on the subject and a bit of search on line reveals tons of how-to plans. At the very least, I would get some of those studio-in-a-box corner foam sets and put them up. They are about $300 for 4 corners, a bit pricey for foam but it's money well spent especially if you do a lot of mixing for broadcast at your place.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Talking Re: Bass Traps... Do ya got 'em?

har har Midphase... Touche. Lol. I meant in "NS forums" in general.

Disclaimer: I only know enough about acoustics to be dangerous. Having said that...

The Auralex LENRDs are very good, but I wouldn't use them as bass traps (I know because I've tried). They're great for wall/ceiling junctions, but you need something more substantial than that for real bass trapping - especially if you have a subwoofer, re: the other thread a couple of weeks ago.

The foam on side walls would help with flutter echos but would dampen my high frequencies as well.
    I don't think it would help with the flutter echos, actually. It's very difficult for speakers to excite the side walls, unless they have extremely wide dispersion. I've heard the argument that you want to absorb everything on the sides if your speakers' off-axis sound is messed up, but I don't buy it.

As you pretty much say, the problem with side wall treatment is that it inserts a lowpass filter on the reflections that come back from your speakers.

I have the Auralex LENRDs in two corners, plus lots of other foam for trapping sound - but I also have diffusors, they really help eliminate the flutter.

Building bass traps is easy, though getting the correct size and depth to trap the most important frequencies is a bit trickier. I recommend, if you've not already done so, getting a book on studio building and acoustocs to get the formulas to calculate the frequencies most likely to be a problem, and designing accordingly. I have an Excel spreadsheet on my website that may help, though it's a few generations out-of-date by now. You are welcome to download it from this page. As it states on the page, I am NOT an acoustical expert, I've just read a lot and built this spreadsheet to help with my rooms (over a period of about five years, I tweaked and rewrote the file, and it worked really well for my own room. Good luck.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum