• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need advice

Share/Bookmark

Need advice

hi friends, so now when I finally have keyboard I'm kind of unsure how it's best to play in the big arrangements/compositions.

Do you play it per track? And how do you sync it, do you use click meter or something?

All advices/tips/tricks are appreciated!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Need advice

I'm certainly not a pro at this midi stuff (newby since April), but I play the parts in one at a time. I just recently experimented with a click track and then went back and entered new tempo changes in the conductor track. Either way works, but I can't stand to hear quantized orchestral stuff. For slower pieces with more feeling, I still like to play it in like I want it. I also use the mod wheel while I play the part. I couldn't stand hearing it "balls to the wall" so to speak, sorry
    Much of the time, I go back and erase the mod wheel data and overdub new mod wheel data into the same track. Don't forget that any track assigned to the same midi channel will affect that sound, and that's a good thing!
    It was Karl Garrett that told me he puts his harp packets in an otherwise empty separate midi track, assigned to the same midi channel.

DPDan

my own method iss to play what i feel are the important tracks in live (i use a midi guitar and up till a few weeks ago an expression pedal) over the background tracks which i mostly step sequence with a keyboard and then move the starts around a bit. i increase or decrease the tempo, surprisingly, in the tempo track.
    i think there are probably as many different methods here as there are members.

slán

mick ó c

When I play in from a keyboard, I always program in a click track. I'd be lost without it. When programming the click, I'll incorporate any ritards or accerandos. But you need something to follow. A live orchestra couldn't play without a conductor, to me the click track is my conductor.

My $.02
    Jeff

Thumbs up Re: Need advice

I usually bang my forehead on the keyboard to the general rhythm of my theme and weed out the notes that don't belong. But seriously folks, I tend to work in two modes - at full speed with no quantize and subsequent passes at "trending in" the passage toward the quantized value - to preserve some human factor. Or, I'll set a lower tempo, and play things as accurately as possible without changing the quantize value at all. Once you go back "up to speed" then it tends to sound more correct. In almost every case, I'm shifting the string slightly ahead of time, because they are almost always late in life and you must contantly conduct them ahead of the actual beat. There are some instances where I'll auto-quantize as I play the part in, but that is rare, unless it's dead on the beat and needs to stay that way. There are simply too many "little" things that go into making a convincing part that get lost when everything gets "sucked" into the nearest 16th note. Better to let it flow and only fix the stuff that doesn't sound like music.

Anyway - that's the way I do it when I run out of aspirin.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

I play everything in one track at a time against a click.

If anything is too out of time I either play it again, sort out the odd notes in the piano roll editor. If I ever feel the need to use quantise I only ever use iterative quantise (Cubase - I any knows the name of this in Sonar or logic, you let us know). This only moves the notes nearer to "correct time" but not exactly onto the beat. Hard quantisation has no real place in orchestral sequencing.

Once everything is entered I spend a lot of time fine tuning the tempo track to allow the music the breath.
    As in music - so in life!

Talking Re: Need advice

Thanks for the tips - and keep them coming!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    I usually bang my forehead on the keyboard to the general rhythm of my theme and weed out the notes that don't belong. But seriously folks, I tend to work in two modes - at full speed with no quantize and subsequent passes at "trending in" the passage toward the quantized value - to preserve some human factor. Or, I'll set a lower tempo, and play things as accurately as possible without changing the quantize value at all. Once you go back "up to speed" then it tends to sound more correct. In almost every case, I'm shifting the string slightly ahead of time, because they are almost always late in life and you must contantly conduct them ahead of the actual beat. There are some instances where I'll auto-quantize as I play the part in, but that is rare, unless it's dead on the beat and needs to stay that way. There are simply too many "little" things that go into making a convincing part that get lost when everything gets "sucked" into the nearest 16th note. Better to let it flow and only fix the stuff that doesn't sound like music.

Anyway - that's the way I do it when I run out of aspirin.

Do you find a conflict between the naturalism of the sound and the appearance of the page? In my style of work I play in things very rubato but then the music sheet looks like a mess because of the quantize issue. I do not want to change the performance but would love for the music paper to look more accessible for someone else to read...

(probably the "impossible dream") :-)

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Edi
    Do you find a conflict between the naturalism of the sound and the appearance of the page? In my style of work I play in things very rubato but then the music sheet looks like a mess because of the quantize issue. I do not want to change the performance but would love for the music paper to look more accessible for someone else to read...

(probably the "impossible dream") :-)

Ed
    '

I don't know what sequencer you are using, but isn't it possible to simplify the visual quantisation (in score view) without altering the actual position of the notes? It is in Sonar.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    I don't know what sequencer you are using, but isn't it possible to simplify the visual quantisation (in score view) without altering the actual position of the notes? It is in Sonar.
    Hi Terry,
    I see you're back posting again. Enjoyed the horn tutorial.

In addition to the note trimming/filling of note durations in SONAR, there's also the ability create a tempo map, which creates a series of tempos that fit an improvised performance. This compensates for the irregular timing that is inevitable in a live performance. The performance then looks properly placed on the score, but the variations in tempo throughout the piece are still realized.
    Bill

Go Back to forum