• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you use the MOD WHEEL effect for all the instruments?

Share/Bookmark

How do you use the MOD WHEEL effect for all the instruments?

Hi. I just got GPO and I know that the MOD WHEEL is used for volume/dynamics of an instrument, but how can I make it so I whenever I use the MOD WHEEL, the volume changes effect ALL of my sounds loaded in the Kontakt player? Instead of just the sound I have selected. Or is there another way of doing this. Thanks.

Re: How do you use the MOD WHEEL effect for all the instruments?

See my post below.

Tom

Jade,

Not sure why you want to do it this way, but that doesn't matter. I see you are wanting to send the same mod wheel data to all instruments in the player (and all mod wheel data in the track would be the same as well.) Well, you will need to assign all tracks in your sequencer to the same 'midi in' while recording the mod wheel data. All tracks will also have to be armed to record and be recording at the same time. I think that's how it would work, but I haven't run a test to see if it would or not.

......or you could use the mod wheel on one instrument, and copy that controller data to the other instruments.

Thanks guys for actually reading JadeXVII's post more carefully than I apparently did! For some reason I thought he was saying that he was having a problem with all sounds responding to the same MIDI channel when he didn't want them to. I'm not sure why I thought that (now that I've re-read his post). Anyway, JadeXVII, the easiest way to get all instruments to respond to the same MIDI data is to set each instrument in the player to the same MIDI channel (by scrolling the MIDI channel for each to the desired identical channel). That way you can use a single track of MIDI data to play all instruments simultaneously. If all instruments are set to channel 1 (for instance) they will all respond together to incoming data on channel 1. Now, that doesn't answer the question of why you would want all instruments to respond to the same mod wheel (or other) data. Even if you have a unison part where all instruments are playing the same notes it is always best to have separate mod wheel data for each instrument that varies in subtle ways from instrument to instrument. This is true of all MIDI data including note positioning and durations. It's the little differences that make it sound more human. Perfect synchronization works at cross purposes to natural-sounding emulations. But then maybe you have some unusual application in mind. Hope I got your question right this time!

Tom

Go Back to forum