• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fast Attack Strings?

Share/Bookmark

Fast Attack Strings?

I've got HALION Strings which I'm very happy with apart from not having any marcato (but sustained) patches. After reading the recent posts about Session Strings I went ahead and downloaded them. They are really fantastic value, and work well layered with Halion Strings. However, I am still looking for full sections of marcato sustains - my 2 options that I'm considering are:

VSL Chamber Strings
    KH Concert Strings

I still haven't seen much feedback about the VSL yet, but wonder if anybody can tell me how the fast attacks for sustained notes are on either of these 2 libs. On the other hand perhaps there's another lib I've overlooked in this respect? Bonus points would be scored if either have keyswitching patches but at the same time CPU friendly (This is one of the best things about HALION Strings). I have to work to tight deadlines and haven't got time to be loading 10 different patches just to create a violin section. This was one of my gripes about GOS which I have never used since trying it out.

Thanks very much for any input

Re: Fast Attack Strings?

Huh?

GOS isnt hard to use. You need like 2 basic patches, sustain and some short bow, maybe pizzicato. I hate KS patches as they are bigger, and take the same amount of time to load as eack instrument in the KS patch.

But try EWQLSO Gold. It has nice marcato samples and the strings have some bite to them. If youre on a lower budget the go Silver. KH concert strings might be good too, although i dont know anyhting about them.

Thanks Kanjika

2 things to clear up:

1) I don't want a full orchestra as I'm happy with my other libraries, just looking for another string lib.

2) I think I'm one of the very few on here that can't get on with GOS - I don't like their tone at all - but that's a personal taste thing I guess.

Interesting that you mention EWQL Gold, as I have read about problems with their attacks on other posts.

One thing you might want to do with HALion Strings is use the mod wheel programs to control attack. It will give you a nice down bow with a sustained body. I also use HALIon String Edition but sparingly. It's a pig on my system and volatile as hell.

Just got the new Kirk Hunter Concert Strings, and this library might have what you are looking for IMO. The 'hard' sustains and Marcato samples have a ton of bite to them (more so than most string libraries I've heard), there are dozens of keyswitch programs available (that can have just a few articulations mapped, or all short or long bowings mapped to one keymap), there are modwheel patches that either bring in more bite or less attack as needed, and there are both full symphonic strings and smaller 'chamber' ensembles that have a complimentary but distinctive difference. So far it seems very light on CPU and polyphony (with 8+ keyswitch programs loaded in GS3 only 20% or so of available memory used...)

I love the sound of VSL's Chamber Strings, and the performance articulations are to drool for, but the price right now is just way too high for me to justify a 'niche' purchase like that.

Hope this helps.

- David

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

SISS has really nice fast attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarobin
    I've got HALION Strings which I'm very happy with apart from not having any marcato (but sustained) patches. After reading the recent posts about Session Strings I went ahead and downloaded them. They are really fantastic value, and work well layered with Halion Strings. However, I am still looking for full sections of marcato sustains - my 2 options that I'm considering are:

VSL Chamber Strings
    KH Concert Strings

I still haven't seen much feedback about the VSL yet, but wonder if anybody can tell me how the fast attacks for sustained notes are on either of these 2 libs. On the other hand perhaps there's another lib I've overlooked in this respect? Bonus points would be scored if either have keyswitching patches but at the same time CPU friendly (This is one of the best things about HALION Strings). I have to work to tight deadlines and haven't got time to be loading 10 different patches just to create a violin section. This was one of my gripes about GOS which I have never used since trying it out.

Thanks very much for any input

We're about to officially announce the release of KH Concert Strings in Kontakt format for $399 intro. Here, you have a whole set where you can control the attack and release with controllers 27 and 28. There are also lots of fast attacks in the other folders.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Go Back to forum