• Register
  • Help

Topic: Yamaha WX-5 power supply

Share/Bookmark

Yamaha WX-5 power supply

I have a new WX-5. It can be powered by 6 batteries or by an optional Yamaha PA-3B AC Adapter. The batteries may be the way to go if they are not too heavy---have not tried yet. I would like to have an AC adpater but this one does not appear on the Yamaha web site, nor on the Sam Ash site for that matter.

Does anyone understand this? Have you used a third party adapter? which one? the WX-5 spec sheet does not really specify the electrical requirements clearly.

Thanks,

Ed

Re: Yamaha WX-5 power supply

Quote Originally Posted by Edi
    I have a new WX-5. It can be powered by 6 batteries or by an optional Yamaha PA-3B AC Adapter. The batteries may be the way to go if they are not too heavy---have not tried yet. I would like to have an AC adpater but this one does not appear on the Yamaha web site, nor on the Sam Ash site for that matter.

Does anyone understand this? Have you used a third party adapter? which one? the WX-5 spec sheet does not really specify the electrical requirements clearly.

Thanks,

Ed

Yamaha makes the PA-3B adapter for 120V applications and the PA-3C for 230V. The PA-3C has an output of 12v - 700mA, I believe that the output of the PA-3B would be the same. They're pretty standard items in most music stores here in France, so I suspect that you could just walk into Guitar Center and pick one up.

Batteries don't last too long in the unit, so I think that you'll find the adapter to be a good idea.

Dennis Burton

I've found universal power supplies for keyboards at Best Buy.

The WX-5 also gets power through the 'umbilical' that connects it to a vl-70 - a highly recommended physical modeling synth that really works beautifully with the WX-5.

I found the extra weight of the internal batteries to be a problem for me.

Trond

I spoke to a tech at Yamaha. The indicated Yamaha adapter is 12volt, 700ma, but the instrument actually requires only about 450ma. Beyond that you need only make sure that the plug is tip positive of the proper size. I think, 5.5 mm.

You can get any number of suitable adapters at radio shack...once you know the specs!

Incidentally, I find the fact that a device that costs upwards of $500 at discount does not include a crummy $15 adapter, very hard to understand.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Edi
    Incidentally, I find the fact that a device that costs upwards of $500 at discount does not include a crummy $15 adapter, very hard to understand.

Ed
    I agree, if you use an aftermarket adaptor, (as Edi mentioned) make sure that the polarity is absolutely correct. Using adaptors at Radio Shack will work, but if the adaptor comes off and it is put back (backwards) you will definately let out the magic smoke, and it will be ready for the trash.
    *NOTE* Polarity is never an issue or concern for power adaptors that put out AC volts, BUT, power supplies that put out DC volts absolutley have to be correct, or POOF

DPDAN

Go Back to forum