• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Place to Host your tracks: AcidPlanet.com

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb A Place to Host your tracks: AcidPlanet.com

I don’t do many “endorsements” but when I run across folks who need a place to “host” their music, I have to recommend AcidPlanet.com .

I’ve been over there in three “identities” (each account gets up to three) since early 2003. In that time, they’ve gone from being a little “private” outfit to being owned by SONY. (There’s the “founder” guy – Dave – still around, who seems to run the whole enterprise.) Interestingly, I believe that AcidPlanet was initially set up to support the “ACID” family of tools – which mostly involve “loopers” making music (from “loops”). The product line includes ScreenBlast ACID and ScreenBlast SoundForge and seem to be a way for otherwise non-musical folks to create repetitive-loop “songs”. (SONY now owns those product lines, as well.) However, AcidPlanet has several categories of music (“Classical”, “Cinematic/Soundtrack”, “Jazz”, etc.) which would seem to be wide open for non-loopers/composers/artists to be there.

Here are some tips on setting up your AcidPlanet account: First, the sign-up page is here . I would highly recommend that you use a dedicated email account as your contact email, because you might start getting a lot of email – specifically about your pieces receiving reviews. AcidPlanet itself does not spam you much. I think I’ve gotten a total of 8 emails from them that weren’t initiated by me. They also do a decent job of handling special problems. (The aforementioned “Dave” usually gets to any rare problems within 24 hours and responds personally. I think when SONY bought the site they just chained him to a desk!)

The basic AcidPlanet account is free. Only in the last 45 days did they introduce a “PRO” membership (for $49.95 per year). Personally, I have not yet opted into “PRO” because to me, the “value-add” doesn’t yet seem terribly compelling. The main storage difference between a free account and PRO is that you get Unlimited account storage (free accounts limited to 2GB) and u p to 100MB file uploads (free accounts limited to 20MB per file). The typical WMA file for a 4-minute piece is generally around 970K (at 56K rate) and the corresponding 160K MP3 (which I always post for more “hifi” listeners) is about 4.7 mB.

AcidPlanet has stated that they are not changing the basic “free” accounts in any way (and so far they have held to that).

If you’re into making MUSIC VIDEOS you can also host them at AcidPlanet. (My one and only music video is to my piece "Einstein's Clocks" and is here. Here’s a link to a general “what is AcidPlanet” page: what is AP .

A FINAL WORD: AcidPlanet “charts” (top current and top all-time in each of the categories and sub-categories) are ego-boosts for most of the “loopers” who inhabit AcidPlanet. Although I have been lucky and gotten to the top of the Classical and Cinematic (and occasionally Jazz or EuroDance) categories, that’s not why am I there. However, if you see “R=R” in the description of a piece (or put it in your description) that means “review equals review” – essentially, you scratch my back (with a review) and I will promptly return a review for one of your pieces (by convention, the latest piece, it seems). So if you are just using AcidPlanet as a repository and don’t want to be caught up in the whole “review” thing, say something like “NO REVIEWS PLEASE” in the song description. IF YOU DO REVIEW, never, ever rate ANY piece less than 9 or 10 or you will just get on a very bad list. It’s ALL about 9s and 10s and is completely dishonest. (If you want honest “blind” appraisals of your works, plunk down the $99 per year for Broadjam .

I hope this helps! KevinKauai

P.S. Here are the “song lists” of my three AP identities: Kauai Symphony Orquester (mostly Classical and Cinematic), AuralScape (most of my Jazz and Ambient works) and K-Fletch, my “wilder” dance-oriented tracks.

Exclamation Re: A Place to Host your tracks: AcidPlanet.com

BUMP! [Somehow my "General Discussion" topics end up having only ONE page and this rolls off.]

Go Back to forum