• Register
  • Help

Topic: IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER

Share/Bookmark

IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER

First, my recent installation of GS3 Ensemble is working fantastic!
    Somewhere along the line of making the "tips" changes in XP (I suppose) when I shut down my PC it shuts down windows like always, but instead of the machine then turning off like it used to, the XP logo screen comes up and under the XP logo are these words....
    "it is now safe to turn off your computer"
    Reminds me of Windows 95

Any ideas on how to make it shut down like it used to?
    Thanks folks,,,,
    DPDAN

Re: IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER

I believe that your PC thinks it has a non-ATX power supply. It may be related to APCI power management. I don't know exactly where to look but hopefully these clues will help.

Best of luck. It is now safe to leave the Northern Sounds Forum. Come back soon...

-JF

Thanks I'll look into that, Dan

Cool Re: IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER

Check this out DPDan..... hope it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903

Smile Re: IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER

Hi again DpDan

How's the separate sample drive on its own IDE cable working out for you.

Now regarding the message you see.
    This has to do with the Advanced Power Management (APM) option.

Go to
    Start, Control Panel, Power options, APM, and Enable advanced power management support.

This should fix it.
    But again for a DAW I would recommend keeping it fully manual. I keep mine disabled.

The APM tab would not be available on ACPI compliant computers. (Yours is problably an ACPI compliant computer but the windows tweaks that you may have done during software installation probably make it look like an ACPI incompliant computer). This is what you want, for an DAW anyway. You always want to slim down a DAW as much as possible.

Merry Christmas

You guys are great! I think it would be just as well to leave it the way it is.
    It's really no big deal. I was just a little concerned about whether I had changed something inadvertantly or not. Thank you guys so much,,,
    Darwin, the new HD is working beautifully. I did have a crash though last night. I was moving the transpose slider to go up two octaves, to place the drums higher on the keyboard for convenience, and when I clicked on the second OK to close the window, the "blue screen of death" appeared. No problems though, it rebooted and everything was cool. I tried making a change back to center, and hit both OK's and this time no crash. GS3 had been on for about 7 hours and I had loaded and deleted a ton of sounds. XP could have been confused... who knows... And by the way, have you guys noticed that when you use the transpose feature, it works in the opposite direction. I moved the drums up two octaves, yet they were actually two octaves lower on the keyboard. Oh well
    Merry Christmas, and peace and goodwill to all men.
    Dan

Go Back to forum