• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Topic: new stand alone computer

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    new stand alone computer

    because i could not go any higher RAM than 1 gig on my laptop, i decided to get a stand alone computer with 2 gig for just the audio and video. I am using sonar 4 and will be installing GPO. Is there anything i need to know when i try to install the GPO on the new computer? Do i have to remove GPO from the laptop? Do I need new registration? etc
    jgyoungmd

  2. #2
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,934

    Re: new stand alone computer

    Quote Originally Posted by jgyoungmd
    because i could not go any higher RAM than 1 gig on my laptop, i decided to get a stand alone computer with 2 gig for just the audio and video. I am using sonar 4 and will be installing GPO. Is there anything i need to know when i try to install the GPO on the new computer? Do i have to remove GPO from the laptop? Do I need new registration? etc
    Well, there is some procedure you need to follow, I don't know what, but I wanted to make sure you did not proceed until you got a good answer. Impatience could easily lead you astray.

    Richard

  3. #3

    Re: new stand alone computer

    You'll need to log onto the Native Instruments website and de-authorize the copy on the laptop. Keep in mind that when you do this, you can never re-authorize on the computer again unless significant changes are made to the hardware so that it appears to the registration process as a new machine. If you're dumping the old laptop in favor of something else, this won't matter to you anyway.

    According to most people who have done it, the process is relatively painless.

  4. #4

    Re: new stand alone computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    You'll need to log onto the Native Instruments website and de-authorize the copy on the laptop.
    You get two authorizations, so no need to de-authorize the laptop. I have my one copy of GPO authorized on my PowerBook and on a Shuttle XPC box...perfectly legal.

    Brian

  5. #5

    Re: new stand alone computer

    i also was wondering about where on the new computer to install the GPO. I remember reading that windows tends to break up the files so i don't know whether to install GPO on the system hard drive or the other hard drive that will come with the computer. And if so, how do i let the computer know where to look for GPO?
    jgyoungmd

  6. #6
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,934

    Re: new stand alone computer

    Quote Originally Posted by jgyoungmd
    i also was wondering about where on the new computer to install the GPO. I remember reading that windows tends to break up the files so i don't know whether to install GPO on the system hard drive or the other hard drive that will come with the computer. And if so, how do i let the computer know where to look for GPO?
    Well, I don't think windows breaking up the files is an issue. It is necessary now and then to run the defragmentation utility. Usually, when I install new software, I accept the default locations since this makes troubleshooting and updating a trifle simpler. But, whatever location you select during installation will be recorded in your registry, and finding it hardly seems a problem to me.

    The most likely time for Windows to break up your files would be if your disk is getting full and you have excessive fragmentation of files, leaving your free space available also in small fragments. If you have this problem, defrag before installing. Also, do a disk cleanup.

    Richard

  7. #7

    Re: new stand alone computer

    Let the GPO installer do its thing and place the application and plug-ins where they need to go. When It asks where to put the sample library, I suggest you place it on your second hard drive. This may yield better performance in loading samples, and also if you choose to use DFD (disk-streaming) with GPO.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •