• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bug? CC2 value 127 ignored in certain cases

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Bug? CC2 value 127 ignored in certain cases

Problem: A CC2 (breath controller) message with a value of 127 appears to be ignored by GPO if the previous CC2 message had a value of 0 (and, depending on the instrument, sometimes 1 or 2).

When playing an X-Custom instrument with a wind controller, this results in sforzando notes following a rest or tongued break starting more quietly than expected (if the assignable slider for an X-Custom instrument is set to 99% or lower), or completely silently (if the slider is at 100%). Once another CC2 message is received, the instrument jumps up in volume to the appropriate level.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Load this MIDI file into any GPO-compatible sequencer.

2) Create an instance of GPO and load a treble X-Custom instrument (trumpet, flute, violin, etc.) into slot #1, with the assignable slider set to CC2, at 75%.

3) Assign the MIDI track to channel 1 of the GPO instance and play the project.

4) Set the assignable slider to 100% and play the project again (it helps if your sequencer can show where the CC2 messages and note beginnings are).

Edit: This happens for me in SONAR (Windows), but it also happens if I set WinAmp to play MIDI files to GPO Studio.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Re: Bug? CC2 value 127 ignored in certain cases

I get the same result as you do. I lowered all the 127's to 126 ("Interpolate") and then it plays correctly...OR...changed all "0" to "2" (leaving 127's intact) and it plays correctly.

Maybe this is just another "feature" of the slider problem you encountered.

BTW, I think I remarked in that thread that it seemed to work OK, but then I found that the X-Custom Violas did NOT work OK with the -100...I think Native Instruments has been a bit "slow" in responding to this. I know Tom Hopkins has reported this to them. Frustrating, isn't it. The X-custom voices are definitely better...

...and of course, the regular voices (non-X-custom) don't have this problem. They have another (small) problem: at a "0" setting for CC01 (or CC02), the voice is still audible.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    I get the same result as you do. I lowered all the 127's to 126 ("Interpolate") and then it plays correctly...OR...changed all "0" to "2" (leaving 127's intact) and it plays correctly.
    I wrote a quick CAL script to do it, as I didn't know about Interpolate (I learn something new about SONAR every day, even though I've been using it since version 2.0). It gives me the results I'm after, but only after I've recorded the notes. Time to look into writing an MFX plugin, I guess...
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

MFX exists HERE. It's the MFX CC Map. Just set the output range to to Low: 2 and Hi: 126, for example.

...thanks to Markleford, who's a frequent contributor to this forum, for all of these FREE MFX plugs.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    MFX exists HERE. It's the MFX CC Map. Just set the output range to to Low: 2 and Hi: 126, for example.

...thanks to Markleford, who's a frequent contributor to this forum, for all of these FREE MFX plugs.
    Sweet, thanks! I actually checked the page before I wrote the CAL script, but I guess I misinterpreted the description.
    -- Jeff Lee

Go Back to forum