• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: HELP! with East West Gold

Share/Bookmark

HELP! with East West Gold

Ok ..I'm starting to get a real headach with all these settings...I've looked in the manual and there isn't a thing about DFD settings..can someone walk me through step by step. I don't even know what a buffer size is. My specs are...

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    1.67 GHz,
    1.50 GB RAM
    40 GB Hard Drive
    SONAR 2
    East west Symphonic Orchestra Gold
    Audiophille 24/96 recording card
    Winows XP
    Korg KARMA keyboard

I've tried all these things everyone is suggesting, but If I could just get my settings set to where I know they aren't screwing things up, maybe I could get down to what I should be doing...composing. I'm not even sure if my recording card is set right I've got with a DMA Buffer size (don't know what the hell that is) at Latency 256 samples and a codec sample rate at 44,100.

I NEED HELP....ALL THESE MANUALS SUCK!

Question Re: HELP! with East West Gold

Hi Evan,

"If I could just get my settings set to where I know they aren't screwing things up,"

In what way are things getting screwed-up ?

Re: HELP! with East West Gold

Read pages 19-22 from John's unofficial manual, that should help:
    EWQLSO Manual

I can't help you with DFD and Gold, but as far as your 24/96 card and the DMA Buffer Size goes: (For example) I had the Latency set to 256 Samples and got to a point towards the end of a pretty large project where I started to get dropouts, clicks, pops etc. I raised the Latency to 512 and the tracks played back without issue. I keep it at 512 now and don't notice any latency (at all) when recording parts from my keyboard (but I'm no concert pianist). Anyway, you could record parts at a lower latency, then jack the latency up for mixdown. I record at 24 bit 41,100 and use Cubase SE. HTH a little.

Oh...things are screwing up by I'm getting alot of pops. And when I reload a project...sometimes I can't play it cause dropouts occur every time I push Play...Oh and thanks T!mon John's unofficail manual is REALLY informative!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Gamble
    Oh...things are screwing up by I'm getting alot of pops. And when I reload a project...sometimes I can't play it cause dropouts occur every time I push Play...Oh and thanks T!mon John's unofficail manual is REALLY informative!
    OK Evan it sounds like your sound card buffer is way to low , I have the Audiophille 24/96 too and have my buffer set at 384 samples , try that .

should give you 8ms latency !

Evan, you only list one hard drive in your specs. Are you streaming the library from its own dedicated drive?
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

No...only have one hard drive would it help to buy another?

Cool Re: HELP! with East West Gold

Hi:

Yes, It would substantially improve your performance to have another harddrive dedicated to samples. This way one hard drive doesn't have to work twice as hard to run the OS, your programs as well as access the samples. When a Hard drive has to access data from too may places, it would adversely affect your polyphony. So atleast add a drive for samples.

Even better is to have 3 hard drives, One for OS and programs, One for samples, and one for recording audio. I would recommend a 10,000rpm raptor for your sample drive (I have 2 of these in raid 0). but if your Motherboard does not support SATA, atleast get a 7200rpm drive (Do not get a 5400 rpm ones)

Hope this helps

thanks alot!

Go Back to forum