• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is DFD?

Share/Bookmark

What is DFD?

Hi, I'm still researching this product and recently in a post someone mentioned something about DFD and how it could affect the performance of the Kontact player... What is DFD? Any info appreciated, thanks. If you do a search for DFD, it doesn't come up, too short.

Re: What is DFD?

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    Hi, I'm still researching this product and recently in a post someone mentioned something about DFD and how it could affect the performance of the Kontact player... What is DFD? Any info appreciated, thanks. If you do a search for DFD, it doesn't come up, too short.
    DFD--Direct from Disk--refers to a process by which the samples are dynamically loaded on demand rather than being entirely loaded when the instrument is loaded. It saves on memory by bringing into memory only the samples that are needed as the instrument "plays". It consumes additional CPU and disk resources during play, since the samples are loaded from disk on demand.

I think the Garritan website recommends not using DFD unless you are memory-constrained.
    Bill

Re: What is DFD?

Thanks for your reply Bill. Well, I have a 1 1/2 gigs of ram, so hopefully I won't run into that problem.

Go Back to forum