• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius user

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius user

Hello to all!
    I'm thinking of purchasing and using GPO with Sibelius 2.2. I need better sounds! Trouble is I'm absolutely clueless how I would make Sibelius "talk" to GPO and play back the sounds. I don't have a keyboard, but would get one if necessary. Is it possible to make GPO work without it? Does Sibelius 2.2 work with GPO without a lot of hassle? What's involved?

Celeron 1.7 ghz
    768 mb ram.
    (Will update the computer if necessary)

Thanks for any advice or help you can offer.
    Bill

Re: Sibelius user

GPO comes with GPO Studio and the midi routers necessary to allow Sibelius to speak to GPO. There's nothing else needed.

Make sure and check out the tutorials at the GPO website for more information on how this works. There is also information about this in the manual.

Also, you should get pretty good performance out of that PC. I would recommend getting at least 1 gig of RAM and a 2.4 Ghz processor, but I think you should test the waters and see if you can get the performance you need out of the equipment you have. I don't think you'll need to upgrade right off the bat.

Hi

I used Sib 2.2 for quite a while before upgrading to Sib 3, and both work perfectly with GPO Studio. No complicated settings needed...

Kind regards

LouisDekker

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Hi

I used Sib 2.2 for quite a while before upgrading to Sib 3, and both work perfectly with GPO Studio. No complicated settings needed...

Kind regards

LouisDekker
    Hello Louis, are you using a keyboard or inputting the dynamics through Sibelius? It seems from what I'm reading on Gary's site that you need a mod wheel to control dynamics. I don't play well, nor do I want to "perform" the music - I just want to write it. Do you have an mp3 of what you can do from within Sibelius using GPO?
    Thank you
    Bill

Hi

Yes, I have a keyboard, but it's actually a digital piano with NO mod wheel, so I just put the dynamics in using ~CC1,??? on the staves. It's a bit crude, but it works. This piece comes straight out of Sibelius using GPO Studio http://www.thecatcottage.com/ClassicalPieceLouisD.mp3

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

LouisDekker

Wow! Nicely done!
    Can you tell me if this was done before the GPO Oct 04 update. The strings don't sound with the same realism as the other instruments. Though certainly not bad at all.
    Thanks
    Bill

Hi

I personally think after the GPO update made a huge improvement when using GPO with Sibelius, because before the strings were a little slow to respond, especially in fast sections. Now it works wonderfully!

Kind Regards

LouisDekker

Go Back to forum