• Register
  • Help

Topic: Superman Returns score news

Share/Bookmark

Superman Returns score news

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    In case anyone follows who is going to be scoring what in Hollywood...I just got some good info (very recent) that John Ottman is no longer going to be scoring Bryan Singer's Superman Returns.

That's right folks...it will now be none other than John Williams himself.

Before, Ottman was going to use William's themes...but it now looks like FOX has given the go ahead for John Williams to score Bryan Singer's SUPERMAN RETURNS.

Kind of cool.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Re: Superman Returns score news

That's great news, nothing better than the original from the original.

But I'm thinking this is disappointing for Ottman?

Perhaps...but Ottman was going to be using Williams' themes anyway...so the score would have been more of Ottman trying to sound like Williams as opposed to original Ottman. But I think Ottman is Editing the film anyway...so he is still heavily involved in the project.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    In case anyone follows who is going to be scoring what in Hollywood...I just got some good info (very recent) that John Ottman is no longer going to be scoring Bryan Singer's Superman Returns.

That's right folks...it will now be none other than John Williams himself.

Before, Ottman was going to use William's themes...but it now looks like FOX has given the go ahead for John Williams to score Bryan Singer's SUPERMAN RETURNS.

Kind of cool.
    This is TERRIBLE news. I really liked Ottman's work on X2 -- and Williams is just so old hat. The new Superman needs something new, not a throwback to the old days.

If it ain't broke...why fix it? And William's Superman sure isn't broke. They were going to use his themes anyway. So why have someone try to imitate Williams when you can go right to the source and have him do it himself?

Other attempts of other composers using Williams themes have not turned out so well in my opinion (Jaws 3-4, Superman 3-4 to name a few).

John Williams is also the only composer Bryan Singer has said he would love to work with other than Ottman. So...there it is...
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

If this is a 'new' Superman - i would rather a 'new' composer.

Williams hasnt adapted very well to scoring modern flicks (yes, yes ... he is great). But i thought the score to Minority Report was miserably out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    If it ain't broke...why fix it?
    Sorry, but I HATED Williams's Superman score. One of only things about the original movies (besides Brando's boring scenes) that I didn't like.

But then I grew up on the wonderful score from the original TV series (which I believe was written by David Chudnow).
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Go Back to forum