• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Why on earch did you choose the KONTAKT PLAYER?!

Share/Bookmark

Why on earch did you choose the KONTAKT PLAYER?!

Because all it does now is gove me constant dropouts. I can't even properly render my latest song because the player keeps dropping out, then it blips for like 3 seconds. I have to play certain patterns in FL like 200 times (literally) to get the sounds to load into the memory! This project is a biut taxing though..

Is there anything to do to get rid ofthis? This is one of the reasons why i choose EWQLSO for some projects. GPOs player just cant handle it. Kontakt also does this if i use GPO with it.

The only thing that does not, is kompakt, which im going to buy because it can handle lots without just "disappearing".

Re: Why on earch did you choose the KONTAKT PLAYER?!

Are instruments dropping out? Is that the problem? Have your tried raising the voice counts for the instruments. At certain tempos and in certain passages I've had this happen to me. All you have to do is raise the voice count in the player since some of them are set on the conservative side. Try that and let's see if that helps. This could also occur in solo lines where you are using detached or tongued phrasing (no legato) and the tempo is too fast and notes bump together. Again, the remedy for this is to raise the voice count, but keep in mind that in doing this you will lose the legato phrasing on certain solo instruments.

Also, I don't know why Kompakt would work any more efficiently than either the Kontakt Player or the full version of Kontakt. That boggles my mind. It would have to have more to do with the instruments than anything else. Is there anyway you can post a snippet of what is exactly happening or send Gary or Tom the actual files for investigation. Also, do you have DFD turned on? There may be issues with notes not streaming fast enough from the disk drive. Check that as well.

What's still killing me about the Kontakt player is the stupid tempo-change DXi bug. NI has known about it for two years and has STILL not fixed it. As a Sonar user, I've had much better results using DXi as opposed to wrapped VST, particularly in regards to rendering, so I'd REALLY like to use the DXi version of GPO. Grrrrr...

Yep, kompakt renders perfectly

And it turns out, it was al DFD screwing things up. It still happeded with DFD off for a minute but it just needed a second to load sounds into the memory. It seems DFD works really really BAD on my computer

Thanks anyway!

Kanjinka,

We chose the Konakt Player because it had features that the Kompaky Player could not do.

DFD can cuase problems and that is why we do not recommend it for GPO. It is more efficient to run on RAM. According to Native Instruments there should be no difference in performance between the Kontakt Player and the Kompakt Player as they use the same audio engine. Let me check my knowledge base and see about this issue. If you have any more problems, let us know and we'll do our best to get this problems solved.

Gary Garritan

Thanks Gary.

I really dont know why this is though...ill try looking at the settings in kompakt now

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoers
    What's still killing me about the Kontakt player is the stupid tempo-change DXi bug. NI has known about it for two years and has STILL not fixed it. As a Sonar user, I've had much better results using DXi as opposed to wrapped VST, particularly in regards to rendering, so I'd REALLY like to use the DXi version of GPO. Grrrrr...

I am quite interested in the DXi tempo bug, which I keep reading about, but have not experienced. I use Sonar extensively, have some pieces with many tempo changes, never found a problem. Would you mind telling me exactly what conditions produce it? Only reason I ask is great curiosity. Since I don't have the problem, it won't affect me in any way.

Richard

Kanjika, these drop outs are a know Sonar issue and not necessarily the Kontakt Player.

Sonar has been experiencing problems with Unexpected Audio Drop outs as reported at - http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/kb2003175.asp
    Go to the link on the Cakewalk site and you'll find a fix.

As far as the DXi tempo bug, I had heard that was supposed to be fixed in Sonar 4 (I have not verified this however). This is why we recommend using GPO as a VST plugin rather than DXi.

One of our users, Paul Giangregorio provided a workaround: "The work-around is to enter a note at the same pitch right after the note-off of the long note which would have otherwise held (and make the new small note inaudible). Some times it takes more than one! But at least it works"

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I use Sonar extensively, have some pieces with many tempo changes, never found a problem. Would you mind telling me exactly what conditions produce it? Only reason I ask is great curiosity. Since I don't have the problem, it won't affect me in any way.
    Hi, Richard,

The bug comes up when you have a tempo change under a sustained note. The note either cuts off early, or sticks indefinitely. It's a pretty well-known bug - I'm really surprised that you've never experienced it! It's not just in GPO - it's any Kompakt/Kontakt based DXi.

I've used the aforementioned workaround, but it just takes way too long. Using the VST version is definitely the way to go until NI fixes it, if they ever do.

And no, Gary, sadly Sonar 4 did not fix it I did my entire latest show in Sonar 4, and the bug was still there. It's NI's bug, not Cakewalk's.

And Kanjika, the way you get rid of that problem is uncheck Fast Bounce when you render. Fast Bounce chokes the DFD when rendering really big samples. Render in realtime, even with the DFD active, and you'll be fine. Kompakt will do the same thing - it's based on the same tech as Kontakt, you must not have been using it with big samples. When I try to render the Bosendorfer 290, which uses a Kompakt player, it will drop out as well unless I disable Fast Bounce.

Go Back to forum