• Register
  • Help

Topic: Memory an Gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

Question Memory an Gigastudio

Hi,
    I know there has been lot of debate about the maximum usage of memory using Giga.

No is the time for an update.

I think the result for Giga 2.5 was that with some tweaking one could squeeze out a little less than 1 GB using Windows XP, and less than 512 MB using Windows 98.

1. Is this still true ?

So what about Giga 3 ?
    2. Have they really improved this ?
    3. Is tweaking still necessary and where are the limits ?

Thank you experts!
    Horst

Re: Memory an Gigastudio

For GS3 there are now automatic tweaks available in v3.03. They aren't needed if you have 1 GB or less. If you have over a gig, there are three profiles available to try.

There is still a diminishing return with the RAM over 1 GB. Doubling your RAM doesn't come near to doubling the memory for loading instruments. It's still about the same as in GS2.5.

The real advantage with GS3 comes from its compression. You can add more instruments and they load more quickly than before, even though you're not able to use any more memory.

-JF

Jon, what's your experience with GS Orchestra as far as improved polyphony. I'm running a p4 at 3 ghz, 800 bus, three ata 7200 drives, and 2 gig mem. I'll be using the post and worra 24 bit pianos. I was using gs 64, on a 1.8 p4, which didn't give me anything near the polyphony I needed. I've ordered the orchestra upgrade and I'm assuming that with the new hardware I've GOT to do better. WTC bk 2 is waiting in the wings.

JG

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    Jon, what's your experience with GS Orchestra as far as improved polyphony. I'm running a p4 at 3 ghz, 800 bus, three ata 7200 drives, and 2 gig mem. I'll be using the post and worra 24 bit pianos. I was using gs 64, on a 1.8 p4, which didn't give me anything near the polyphony I needed. I've ordered the orchestra upgrade and I'm assuming that with the new hardware I've GOT to do better. WTC bk 2 is waiting in the wings.
    JG
    No response needed. I've been able to answer my own question.

JG

Re: Memory and Gigastudio

Hi Jon,

thanks for the info. If have not quite understood the idea of compression. What´s it all about ? Is this a new feature coming with 3.0 ?

Also I would like to know how people manage to load libraries like VSO Opus 1 Orchestra if the 1 GB limit is still present ?

Any experiences ?

Thanks
    Horst

Go Back to forum