• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: PMI 24bit Pianos - dropouts in audio - advice?

Share/Bookmark

PMI 24bit Pianos - dropouts in audio - advice?

Hello all, read and enjoyed the NS forums for ages but this is my first post here...

OK, I've just built in the last few days a new PC for GS3 and it's a pretty good spec: Asus P4C800E deluxe mobo, 3.2Ghz P4, Sontata case with 380w power, 120Gb U133 Maxtor C drive, DVD (D drive), 300Gb Maxtor DiamondMax PLus 10 <9ms 150 SATA drive x 2 (disks E and F) for libraries. (Not in RAID so far.) RME 96/8PAD soundcard -ADAT out. (Ext. clock via ADAT in.) 1Gb matched Kingston RAM. I've done all the Tascam recommended XPPro tweaks, plus the ones ons musicxp.net, and when I load PMI 24bit pianos (not them only, but they are a good example of heavy loading), it doesn't take too many voices, say 20-30, to cause a gurgling effect (for want of a better word) and a few intermittent gaps in playback audio.

The only thing I can think of which is maybe not so top-spec in my config is that I'm using a USB Motu microlite 5x5 interface (my DAW is Pro Tools on a G5). However, this sort of gurgling happened on my last PC which was still no slouch at 3.0Ghz and Western cavia drives, although I was still using a USB midi interface (a Motu Freestyle 2x2). I thought building a brand new one would solve problems but nope, GS3 still does this. What should I try to pinpoint the problem -and does anyone know this symptom?? Thanks

Re: PMI 24bit Pianos - dropouts in audio - advice?

Quote Originally Posted by command_shift
    Hello all, read and enjoyed the NS forums for ages but this is my first post here...

OK, I've just built in the last few days a new PC for GS3 and it's a pretty good spec: Asus P4C800E deluxe mobo, 3.2Ghz P4, Sontata case with 380w power, 120Gb U133 Maxtor C drive, DVD (D drive), 300Gb Maxtor DiamondMax PLus 10 <9ms 150 SATA drive x 2 (disks E and F) for libraries. (Not in RAID so far.) RME 96/8PAD soundcard -ADAT out. (Ext. clock via ADAT in.) 1Gb matched Kingston RAM. I've done all the Tascam recommended XPPro tweaks, plus the ones ons musicxp.net, and when I load PMI 24bit pianos (not them only, but they are a good example of heavy loading), it doesn't take too many voices, say 20-30, to cause a gurgling effect (for want of a better word) and a few intermittent gaps in playback audio.

The only thing I can think of which is maybe not so top-spec in my config is that I'm using a USB Motu microlite 5x5 interface (my DAW is Pro Tools on a G5). However, this sort of gurgling happened on my last PC which was still no slouch at 3.0Ghz and Western cavia drives, although I was still using a USB midi interface (a Motu Freestyle 2x2). I thought building a brand new one would solve problems but nope, GS3 still does this. What should I try to pinpoint the problem -and does anyone know this symptom?? Thanks

....i have pop and clicks also on the PMI 24 bit !!

i am increasing my RAM to 4 GIG...i also tried everything !!

have a look at this thread too !!
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28247

i will let you know if it worked or not...i am waiting still for 4 gig kingston ram...dealers out of stock

mbmb

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb
    ....i have pop and clicks also on the PMI 24 bit !!

i am increasing my RAM to 4 GIG...i also tried everything !!

have a look at this thread too !!
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28247

i will let you know if it worked or not...i am waiting still for 4 gig kingston ram...dealers out of stock

mbmb
    Hi mbmb, yeah I saw your thread, thought you might have resolved this. Could you please list your motherboard and drive type? That would be helpful. One thing we have in common is that we are using RME cards.

Let me know if RAM is the problem, although I suspect it's drive-based and I don't understand why my system isn't handling the demands of PMI easily. It should be. Anyone else care to chime in?

Is there a third party or system app which allows me to test SATA performance? I am still learning the art of PC tweaks as I've always used Macs except for GS.

I guess the main question to ask is: who is able to play 200+voices on PMI Pianos 24bit and has NO audio artifacts? What drives and audio cards are you using?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Intel D845GBV

2 x Seagate 40Gb ATA100 Hard disks

p4 2,67 ghz intel

currently 1gbram to upgrade to 4 !

It seems to me that GigaPulse is the reason. It demand lots of the CPU. In my case, without GigaPulse, the CPU meter shows 11 %, with GigaPulse enabled, it jumps to 40 %. This before I start playing... then using the damper pedal a couple of seconds and the CPU meter goes nuts and I seem to hear nothing but pops and crackles. I use a Celeron 2.4 GHz, 1,1 GB RAM, separate ATA100 drives.

...i saw in the G 3 manaul p9..

2,8 Ghz processor is recommended !!

maybe thats where we fell short ?!

...my problem is my main Daw is 3,2 but i run giga on a standalone pc..!!...maybe i should get a new one then also if the upgrade with ram does not work !

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb
    ...i saw in the G 3 manaul p9..

2,8 Ghz processor is recommended !!

maybe thats where we fell short ?!

...my problem is my main Daw is 3,2 but i run giga on a standalone pc..!!...maybe i should get a new one then also if the upgrade with ram does not work !
    Fogwall and mbmb I don't think my CPU is too slow, it's a P4 3.2Ghz; it should handle it. Some people must be able to play this instrument OK or we'd see more complaints I guess...

Anyone able to play PMI's 24bit instruments with NO problems of glitching please chime in with your PC settings if you can - this is driving me nuts. Thanks!!

Do you have other software and utilities installed on the computer? Might it have a virus or ad/spyware?

For streamlining windows, there are many good tips here:
    http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html

The source is from a video-oriented site, but both audio & video need good real-time perfromance, so the tips may still apply.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Do you have other software and utilities installed on the computer? Might it have a virus or ad/spyware?

For streamlining windows, there are many good tips here:
    http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html

The source is from a video-oriented site, but both audio & video need good real-time perfromance, so the tips may still apply.

-JF
    Jon, well I did download Steinberg's V-Stack onto it, but I assume so long as it's not active when GS3 is active, there should be no driver conflicts going on. V-Stack doesn't do much at the moment, I have not installed any VSTs onto the PC so far and won't until GS3 is flying. Virus - no, don't think so, it's hardly been online except for Tascam/Steinberg and I don't use it for email. Thanks for pc tips though, I'll take a look.

Jon, you're obviously pretty savvy on PCs, I'm assuming SATA150 is considered superior for Giga as opposed to IDE133; that right? I have both busses available on the ASUS mobo. The mobo has Promise Raid' available in the BIOS which I have disabled, as there is some dipsute on NS at to Raid benefits so I just hooked the Maxtors onto the SATA sockets on the mobo, which I would have thought makes sense? They're both bus masters.

One thing that doesn't quite chime is that GS3 will not perrform a Quicksound refresh properly if I add a folder to a drive; it doesn't see the addition. I have to do a complete (long) Quicksound scan and then it finds the folder. Perhaps this behaviour signals something is not happy somewhere...

I'm experiencing the same types of issues on a brand new Carillon PC.

P4 3.2 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    RAID 0 array for samples

I get some pretty severe audio dropouts when I use the full piano (Old Lady or Emperor) even though CPU usage is around 11%. If I load an instrument without a GigaPulse instance (such as Emperor 24x12) then things are definitely better --- just an occassional click. My PC is more than capable of handling this and the audio is running through a Tascam product (the FW-1884) so I wouldn't think that would be the problem. Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted on my findings and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in the meantime.

Chris

Go Back to forum