• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Woodwind Quintet #08"

Share/Bookmark

"Woodwind Quintet #08" (10:00)

Music Folks,

This is my "Woodwind Quintet #08". There is no break between the movements. It is lengthy (10:00). It may be one of my better efforts. (Who knows? You will be the judge of that.)

The GPO instruments are:

Flute Solo V
    Oboe 1 Modern Solo
    Bb Clarinet Solo
    Horn 1 Solo KS
    Bassoon 1 Solo

http://www.alexandermusic.com/Resour...dQuintet08.mp3

My best to all,

Larry A.

Re: "Woodwind Quintet #08"

Very entertaining

It's nice to hear music that's so much fun.

I particularly enjoyed the 3/4 movement (menuetto?) which featured the clarinet. I'd have like to hear the oboe take a more of a prominent role occasionally - but with a virtuoso flute player at hand, who's complaining

Have you had any of your many wind quintets (wow - your up no.8) performed by a live ensemble? I can imagine this music at a high class garden party. You've managed to capture the old divertimento mood (with a few modern twists, of course ) so elegantly.
    As in music - so in life!

Quote Originally Posted by musomark
    Very entertaining

It's nice to hear music that's so much fun.

I particularly enjoyed the 3/4 movement (menuetto?) which featured the clarinet. I'd have like to hear the oboe take a more of a prominent role occasionally - but with a virtuoso flute player at hand, who's complaining

Have you had any of your many wind quintets (wow - your up no.8) performed by a live ensemble? I can imagine this music at a high class garden party. You've managed to capture the old divertimento mood (with a few modern twists, of course ) so elegantly.
    I appreciate your kind words. Thank you.

Yes, many of my works have been performed live. I have written around twenty woodwind quintets. The one you just reviewed is number eight.

Are you a composer?

Thanks and best regards from the other side of the "big pond".

Larry A.

Thumbs up Re: "Woodwind Quintet #08"

Larry’s is dancing again! Cool piece to listen to! Love those woodwinds don'tcha?
    I think you're ready to write for Carnivals!
    I love it
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Larry’s is dancing again! Cool piece to listen to! Love those woodwinds don'tcha?

I think you're ready to write for Carnivals!

I love it
    Thanks, Mikey. I'm as pleased as punch that you like it.

I have absolutely no idea what the "Carnivals" part of your message means.

My best,

Larry Graham Alexander, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Thanks, Mikey. I'm as pleased as punch that you like it.

I have absolutely no idea what the "Carnivals" part of your message means.

My best,

Larry Graham Alexander, Esq.
    Oh, part way through listening I punched up a picture of a Merry-go-round and as it began to spin it seem to take join in tempo with your piece. Hence, carnival music!
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! Oh...
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Oh, part way through listening I punched up a picture of a Merry-go-round and as it began to spin it seem to take join in tempo with your piece. Hence, carnival music!
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! Oh...
    Mikey,

You must take your medications as the doctor and the District Attorney ordered you to do.

Sincerefully yours,

Larry A.

[snob]
    Well, this is a thoroughly derivative piece that breaks no new ground at all, isn't it??
    [/snob]
    Which is to say it's charming, melodic and I love it!!
    As always, the GPO winds shine. It's a great realization job, IMO. The music walks a fun line between an older classical sound and almost a turn of the century ragtime feel. Pretty cool!

Keep 'em coming- this one was great!

Very fun and delightful. I too pictured a perpeutal motion machine - so a carnival's pony carousel is just right.

The style seems like a relaxed Baroque piece with a few pre-classical touches and some modern twists. I was reminded of Boisemeister (sp?) (French populist composer).

The GPO flute is very chiffy which gets tiring, so I too would like to see the melody part given to other instruments more often (rhe oboe).

Thanks for all your music,

YBaCuO

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    [snob]
    Well, this is a thoroughly derivative piece that breaks no new ground at all, isn't it??
    [/snob]
    Which is to say it's charming, melodic and I love it!!
    As always, the GPO winds shine. It's a great realization job, IMO. The music walks a fun line between an older classical sound and almost a turn of the century ragtime feel. Pretty cool!

Keep 'em coming- this one was great!
    I appreciate your comments, Fred.

I did try to provide a mixture of "styles" and I didn't take this work too seriously.

Regards,

Larry A.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast