• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best Piano for p and mp Dynamics?

Share/Bookmark

Best Piano for p and mp Dynamics?

I was listening to a pop album today which had heavy orchestration and lots of piano. What struck me is how wonderful the piano sounded at very soft dynamic levels. This seems to be something I've missed in the piano samples I've used over the years. Currently I use the East West Steinway B most of the time, but I can't seem to get that ultra soft sound out of it...are any of the new pianos out there particularly adept at this dynamic?

Thanks for any input...

Tom H

Re: Best Piano for p and mp Dynamics?

I just got the PMI Old Lady in the group by and IMO it positively sings at the lower dynamic levels. I'm really not a connisuer of sampled grands at this point though. I'm sure you'll get a lot of input on this one!!

I would rather need ppp dynamics. Malmsjö by Artvista was designed for the softer piano playing, however it is hardly a pop piano.

I had problems with Black Grand but adjusting the volume in the editor for the lowest velocities helped a bit (see another thread about that).

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    I was listening to a pop album today which had heavy orchestration and lots of piano. What struck me is how wonderful the piano sounded at very soft dynamic levels. This seems to be something I've missed in the piano samples I've used over the years. Currently I use the East West Steinway B most of the time, but I can't seem to get that ultra soft sound out of it...are any of the new pianos out there particularly adept at this dynamic?

Thanks for any input...

Tom H
    Send me a midifile (per@sampletekk.com), and I'll render a mp3 using White & Black Grand.
    These pianos are the only sampled pianos on the market today that has 16/16 true velocitysamples/recorded key. (16 samples recorded pedal down, 16 pedal up) going from the softest pianissimo to slamming fortissimo.
    You can also download playable 2 octave demos from out site (www.sampletekk.com) and check it out for yourself
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    What struck me is how wonderful the piano sounded at very soft dynamic levels. This seems to be something I've missed in the piano samples I've used over the years. Tom H
    The ppp level of pianos is very hard to capture. I spent a lot of time to make sure the Old Lady and Emperor have a realistic "lowest dynamics" action. They have enough body and still become very delicate. Please check out the playable demo instruments on my postpiano.com website to see if they suit you.

This romantic demo made by Chris Nicolaides called OUT OF THE BLUE features the OLD LADY in a delicate little piece with some soft and some louder lines, and shows the dynamic range nicely.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Go Back to forum