• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why can't I install GPO Studio?

Share/Bookmark

Why can't I install GPO Studio?

I am using Windows XP. I normally log in with a username that has "power user" privileges but not administrative privileges.

I have just installed and registered GPO. I am now trying to install GPO studio so that I can use GPO with Finale 2005.

I downloaded the current version of GPO studio from the garritan.com website. When I try to install it, it complains that I must have administrative privileges to install it. If I right-click it and say "run as Administrator", it complains that GPO is not installed. If I log out and log in as Administrator, then try to install it, it still complains that GPO is not installed.

What do I do now?

Re: Why can't I install GPO Studio?

Hi Andrew
    I'm pretty sure you will need to have administrator privileges to successfully install GPO Studio. The studio includes software midi drivers and I expect that Windows will only allow you install these (and hence the rest of GPO Studio) with admin privs. I think you can get around this however.
    Log into your account on the computer with admin privileges and go to Windows Control Panel -> Users Accounts. Click on the user account you want to use with GPO Studio, and then select "Change my account type". Set the account to admin privs, and then log out of the (real) admin account, and log into the account you want to use for GPO Studio (that you just changed privs on). You should now be able to install GPO Studio - make sure you do a reboot after installing, as it instructs. After the computer restarts, log into the true admin account and change the account with GPO Studio back to its former privileges.
    I expect that when you switch back to that account again, GPO Studio will be installed and will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla
    Hi Andrew
    I'm pretty sure you will need to have administrator privileges to successfully install GPO Studio. The studio includes software midi drivers and I expect that Windows will only allow you install these (and hence the rest of GPO Studio) with admin privs. I think you can get around this however.
    Log into your account on the computer with admin privileges and go to Windows Control Panel -> Users Accounts. Click on the user account you want to use with GPO Studio, and then select "Change my account type". Set the account to admin privs, and then log out of the (real) admin account, and log into the account you want to use for GPO Studio (that you just changed privs on). You should now be able to install GPO Studio - make sure you do a reboot after installing, as it instructs. After the computer restarts, log into the true admin account and change the account with GPO Studio back to its former privileges.
    I expect that when you switch back to that account again, GPO Studio will be installed and will work.
    I did exactly that: I logged in as Administrator and changed my account to be a member of the Administrators group. Then I logged in as myself again, this time with Administrator privileges.

When I tried to install GPO Studio, it complained that it couldn't find my GPO installation, just as it did when I tried to install it when logged in as Administrator.

Moreover, I know that GPO installed correctly, as did its VST plugin, because I can play back music from another VST-enabled sequencer (Midi Maestro) through the GPO VST plugin.

So what is the GPO Studio installer looking for when it tries to detect a GPO installation?

OK, here's what I found.

I tried uninstalling GPO completely and starting again, this time logged in as Administrator. No dice: If I install it when logged in as Administrator, I can't use it when logged in as myself.

So I unstalled it again. This time, I gave myself Administrator privileges and restarted the machine. Then I installed GPO as myself. Finally, everything worked.

I suspect that when I tried giving myself administrator privileges last time, I did not log out and log in again.

I must confess that this is not the only program that has this particular installation problem. I think the right answer is for GPO to (a) warn if it is not being installed as Administrator, and (b) arrange to install properly when installed with right-click "Run as", which probably means either installing in "all users" or asking which user to use for installation.

Go Back to forum