• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: How to use the backup registration

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question How to use the backup registration

    Due to a bad motherboard, I have installed G3 again, again, again, and...well, lots of times. Each time I back up my registration info, and each time I reinstall, it tells me I need a new CD key. I go the website, get a new key (i have a nice collection...)

    BUT, now that I've got my mobo fixed, I get an email telling me I cannot register due to the "large number of times" I have registered.

    I try to use the backup, and it tells me the number has been "updated"..

    Wierd thing is, I did a clean install of XP, reinstalled Giga, and it somehow had my CD code and name and address. Where did it get it????

    Do I need to get G3 back like the day it arrived via UPS, and start all from scratch...where it doesn't know my CD code??? For the life of me I cannot figure what this backup reg is good for if you're required to get a new key everytime???

    Help!!!

  2. #2

    Re: How to use the backup registration

    Who knows what is happening since you had motherboard problems.

    The intent of the backup key would be for more "normal" situations, where you had to uninstall the program for some reason (I did this once and it works fine).

    When you say a "fresh" install of WinXP I assume you did not reformat your hard drive. A WinXP install would not necessarily erase everything.

    I assume you will need to call Tascam. Obviously their automated system should not allow unlimited new codes, otherwise there would be no need for copy protection.

  3. #3

    Re: How to use the backup registration

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    Who knows what is happening since you had motherboard problems.

    The intent of the backup key would be for more "normal" situations, where you had to uninstall the program for some reason (I did this once and it works fine).

    When you say a "fresh" install of WinXP I assume you did not reformat your hard drive. A WinXP install would not necessarily erase everything.

    I assume you will need to call Tascam. Obviously their automated system should not allow unlimited new codes, otherwise there would be no need for copy protection.
    I actually did format the drive...

    YEs, I will call Tascam. I have also uninstalled the program, and tried to use the backup registration...each time it tells me I have to re-register and get a new key.

  4. #4

    Question Re: How to use the backup registration

    Another way to as this, I suppose, is how do you re-install G3 and prevent it from creating a new Reg number?

    And another way to ask: how can I get back my reg number I had prior to re installing??

    Thanx!

  5. #5

    Re: How to use the backup registration

    Quote Originally Posted by sporter
    Another way to as this, I suppose, is how do you re-install G3 and prevent it from creating a new Reg number?
    I am not sure if there was a different "Reg Number" or not? In my situation, the only thing I did was to uninstall GS3, then re-install it (no new WinXP, no hard drive re-format).

  6. #6

    Re: How to use the backup registration

    Once registered, it's only necessary to backup the registration once. Changing the mobo won't affect it. Then when restoring the registration, do it at the first screen where the Restore button is, don't progress through the process to create another registration.

    The only complete way to wipe out previous registrations (or botched attempts) is to wipe the drive. It would seem logical that any copy protection worth anything would interpret anything less as a circumvention attempt. Although it is possible use the Giga Clean utility which wipes out the grace period, then immediately restore the registration.

    In testing, troubleshooting & re-configuring my systems, the registration backup & restore has worked every time.

    G

  7. #7

    Re: How to use the backup registration

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    Once registered, it's only necessary to backup the registration once. Changing the mobo won't affect it. Then when restoring the registration, do it at the first screen where the Restore button is, don't progress through the process to create another registration.

    The only complete way to wipe out previous registrations (or botched attempts) is to wipe the drive. It would seem logical that any copy protection worth anything would interpret anything less as a circumvention attempt. Although it is possible use the Giga Clean utility which wipes out the grace period, then immediately restore the registration.

    In testing, troubleshooting & re-configuring my systems, the registration backup & restore has worked every time.

    G
    THanks for your help, but...

    I must be missing something, because I did progress to the next screen.

    I understand the copy protection scheme, which is why I did indeed back up my reg file.

    Do you go through the entire install process each time? Do you open the license manager first, or G3 first, or does it matter?

    Thanks for your help!

  8. #8

    Re: How to use the backup registration

    I'm just guessing here because I've never done it... that if the registration process goes far enough to generate a new challenge, it's expecting the response based on that rather than restoring a backed up registration. So when restoring, I just do that and it's done. I've done it from the app and from License Manager.

    You may have to call Tascam to get things sorted out if the system now thinks you've registered too many times.

    G

  9. #9

    Re: How to use the backup registration

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines

    I assume you will need to call Tascam. Obviously their automated system should not allow unlimited new codes, otherwise there would be no need for copy protection.
    You can get quite a few of them. I got about 6 of them when I had problems. Part of it was I expected to get a code quickly on a late Friday night/Sat. morning. I had a them all come Monday morning. If you need a reg code do it during the week.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •