• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT-Question about a Handel Organ Pc. Arioso

Share/Bookmark

OT-Question about a Handel Organ Pc. Arioso

I was going to try to use the GPO organ on a piece I heard, for fun, and wondered if someone could give me some more info about it.
    I've heard it before and again last Sunday as a prelude.
    I got the sheet music from the organist.
    It is Handels' Arioso (Thanks be to God). in 3/4, key of G

Is this from the Messiah? or part of some other work?
    Is arioso a general term for a piece of music? meaning in a melodic style like an aria?
    Any thing else you can tell me about this piece?

Thanks a bunch!

Tom Coltharp

Re: OT-Question about a Handel Organ Pc. Arioso

arioso: short lyrical piece: a short lyrical aria or instrumental work
    [Early 18th century. From Italian, literally ?like an aria.?]

This piece appeared in the early 20th century in germany as Alt-Arioso of "Cantata con stromenti". Besides the similarities with "Ombra ma fiu" of the opera "Xerxes" (Serse) some leading Händel-experts are convinced that this piece was not written by Händel but much later.

now your term: let us hear your rendering..
    rené

I guess I've been had.
    Wow, thanks fmfgs. That's amazing that you can tell me that. When I first searched, I couldn't find anything out about it.
    Using your info, I did find some German pages that translated and agreed with what you said.
    I did find "Ombra ma fiu" and I guess its kinda similar.
    Handel or not, I like it just fine--I think its played at weddings some.
    I'll have to talk to our music director about it.
    Where did you get this infomation? Man, can you read German or somethin'?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fmfgs
    now your term: let us hear your rendering..
    rené
    Well, here's the first minute so far...I ditched the organ idea and am putting it to some orchestratory rendering.
    arioso
    Its kinda slow at the "specified" 63 bbm, but I figured Handel should know

Quote Originally Posted by squoze
    Its kinda slow at the "specified" 63 bbm, but I figured Handel should know
    The metronome wasn't invented until after Handel's time, was it? It looks as if somebody else added the tempo mark. Forget, do it the way it sounds right.

A little off the direct subject but I just saw Messiah last night performed by the Illinois Symphony Orchestra. They did a wonderful job and had some great soloists. In reading the program notes, I saw that Handel wrote the 275 page score in a matter of about 3 weeks. Talk about being prolific.

Prolific, to be sure, but not quite that prolific. A lot of the numbers in Messiah were adapted from earlier pieces. Some may have even been written by other composers, shamelessly appropriated by Handel. (Not an uncommon practice in those days!)

Tomorrow I'm playing a Messiah in Robinson, Illinois. My only Messiah this year (one year I did three!) There's a joke among string players: "I dreamed I was playing Handel's Messiah, and when I woke up, I was."
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    A little off the direct subject but I just saw Messiah last night performed by the Illinois Symphony Orchestra. They did a wonderful job and had some great soloists. In reading the program notes, I saw that Handel wrote the 275 page score in a matter of about 3 weeks. Talk about being prolific.
    A little?? If you can't keep to the thread subject, why don't you start a new thread of your own?

Gee wiz there Poolman. I thought I was still "ON" the subject enough that what I had to say was valid within the parameters of posting 101. Incase you havent noticed, this forum stays positive pretty much all the time and people support other people with thier accumulated knowledge and also share thier own experiences relating to the current topic at hand. It really irritates me that you think I didnt have a place in saying three typed lines of my own experience as I only wanted to share something exciting that I had just experienced for the first time just the night before. The things that I typed, I typed with childlike enthusiasm to share with everyone else. If it makes you feel better to make me feel bad about posting what and where I did, you just go ahead but it's really not behaviour fitting this forum. Good day.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Gee wiz there Poolman. I thought I was still "ON" the subject enough that what I had to say was valid within the parameters of posting 101. Incase you havent noticed, this forum stays positive pretty much all the time and people support other people with thier accumulated knowledge and also share thier own experiences relating to the current topic at hand. It really irritates me that you think I didnt have a place in saying three typed lines of my own experience as I only wanted to share something exciting that I had just experienced for the first time just the night before. The things that I typed, I typed with childlike enthusiasm to share with everyone else. If it makes you feel better to make me feel bad about posting what and where I did, you just go ahead but it's really not behaviour fitting this forum. Good day.

Eric
    The guy wanted help with a specific piece. I gave him a little. Did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    The guy wanted help with a specific piece. I gave him a little. Did you?
    Poolman, you had to know that was rude, did you not?
    If you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all.
    That's why I don't respond to some things here.
    I saw nothing wrong with Eric's post, lighten up!
    Sorry everyone

Go Back to forum