• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Woe, wait a minute here!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down Woe, wait a minute here!

As much as I love hearing your compositions, somehow some of you are missing the whole concept of this forum. This is the Garritan Personal Orchestra forum where musicians from all over share what they have accomplished with GARRITAN PERSONAL ORCHESTRA library! It is my understanding that all those other sound libraries have their own forums with users that I am sure would love to critique your work. Sure, there have been others with a mixture including GPO and that I believe is expectable to an extent. On the other hand, I strongly feel it is uncouth to post a piece compose wholeheartedly of another library on this forum.
    Regardless....
    Styxx

Re: Woe, wait a minute here!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    As much as I love hearing your compositions, somehow some of you are missing the whole concept of this forum. This is the Garritan Personal Orchestra forum where musicians from all over share what they have accomplished with GARRITAN PERSONAL ORCHESTRA library! It is my understanding that all those other sound libraries have their own forums with users that I am sure would love to critique your work. Sure, there have been others with a mixture including GPO and that I believe is expectable to an extent. On the other hand, I strongly feel it is uncouth to post a piece compose wholeheartedly of another library on this forum.
    Regardless....
    Oh i see that You're talking about Me right now... i though i have some friends here on the GPO forum that i'll share my love to music with... maybe I was wrong... i hope not... if i was so lucky to have GPO earlier then i would share and showoff my music done using GPO but now i do have GPO... not yet but tomorrow... and thanks to Garry and Ivan P and all other people who really have a good heart for people and music... If Garry will say to me that it's forbidden or something to do this i wont.

Quote Originally Posted by lukpcn
    Oh i see that You're talking about Me right now... i though i have some friends here on the GPO forum that i'll share my love to music with... maybe I was wrong... i hope not... if i was so lucky to have GPO earlier then i would share and showoff my music done using GPO but now i do have GPO... not yet but tomorrow... and thanks to Garry and Ivan P and all other people who really have a good heart for people and music... If Garry will say to me that it's forbidden or something to do this i wont.
    Yes and no. It wasn't easy to post this and darn if I wanted to have anyone upset over me voicing my concerns. I really do like your music it's just out of respect that I do not want this forum to fester into a drop zone for anyone who feels like posting anything here with other libraries exclusively.
    I’m sorry if you took this personally. But, I am glad you are aware of the concerns. As I said before, you are all fine musicians with loads of great music pulsating here. Just would like to hear more of what people can do with GPO.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Yes and no. It wasn't easy to post this and darn if I wanted to have anyone upset over me voicing my concerns. I really do like your music it's just out of respect that I do not want this forum to fester into a drop zone for anyone who feels like posting anything here with other libraries exclusively.
    I’m sorry if you took this personally. But, I am glad you are aware of the concerns. As I said before, you are all fine musicians with loads of great music pulsating here. Just would like to hear more of what people can do with GPO.
    And You will... I asure You Styxx

And You will... I asure You Styxx
    Thanks bud, coming from a true musician as yourself I'm looking forward!
    Styxx

If Garry will say to me that it's forbidden or something to do this i wont.
    Of course I cannot speak for Gary or anyone but myself…but:

Styxx is a moderator on this forum. I know that you mean no disrespect but there are some common courtesies that I believe are important to be aware of . I too have (hopefully) made a lot of friends here. I own GPO and I use it (along with tons of other things). I do not post my demos here because most of the work that I have done requires synthesizers and other tools (non-orchestral music). I try to find other ways to contribute to this forum until such time as I can post something that is mostly, or entirely GPO. GPO users are very helpful and nice, and eager to lend a constructive ear. But out of respect for Gary and his forum, demos that use other libraries should be posted in the appropriate places (taking into consideration where it would be most respectful). It sometimes is tough to know where that may be, but just be mindful. Gary is a most generous and kind man. He has never told me not to post anything. I choose not to out of respect for him. But as Styxx says don’t take it personally . It is just good to be aware of these things sometimes. And don't forget, your friends will find your demos, wherever they are.

Last edited by Brian2112; 12-10-2004 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Forgot "I" before "E" spelling Rule =P
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

The main goal here is to help users. There have been non-GPO demos posted in the Demos section and I usually don't have a problem with that. Usually those posters will be getting GPO or have a non-orchestral song.

As Brian points out, this is a GPO forum and just exercise consideration. I think the Vienna Library forum wouldn't mind a GPO demo here and there, or if it is together with VSL sounds, but if their forum gets flooded with non-VSL demos, it would not be right. Ditto for other developer forums.

The users here are very helpful and constructive and benefit other GPO users. If we open it up to all demos from all libraries in the universe, we could get inundated with thousands of demos and GPO users would not be best served. I think most people are aware of this and are considerate.

What do other forum members think?

Gary Garritan

I guess that as long as there is some good use of GPO, even along with other samples, it's OK to post it here. Specially if what samples have been used for each thing are detailed.

Sometimes I get the feeling that it has to be "All GPO" demo to be accepted truly, but i don't think that's good. GPO+another libraries demos are highly interesting too. For instance, if someone wants to get a bigger palette of sounds he/she'll probably go for woodwinds, or percussion or something, and use it along with GPO, instead of buying another complete orchestral librarie. These mixed demos could help to know how other libraries sit in the mix with GPO, and even provide tricks or hints, like which reverb or EQ use to make them match better.

I for myself rarely use GPO exclusively, I mix it with live recordings and/or other samples, and that "it must be All GPO" feeling has kept me away from posting the demos.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I think most people are aware of this and are considerate.
    I agree (for now at least ).
    I don't think you need to ban non-GPO demos.
    It is good to occasionally reinforce the reason for this forum, also.
    I think our esteemed moderators can handle the situation before it gets out of hand with any one poster.
    I find non-GPO demo posts here extremely non-interesting, but some GPO users might benefit from the occasional non-GPO demo if it has some redeeming value.
    Like Danielle says, just ignore them (non-GPO demos) if you like, as long as it not a large problem.

And please let's not forget that other little Garritan masterpiece, GOS.

Go Back to forum