• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: CD question

Share/Bookmark

Question CD question

Hey, guys.

Of all the Composers that we'll be giving airplay to on The Composer Channel, only 30% of you have checked the boxes next to your songs indicating that you'd like for us to include them in our Collection CDs. Which means, of course, that we send you money each month when CDs are sold that include your songs. We'll also sell your CDs that you've already produced. (Details at http://www.showprogramming.com/ComposerCds.asp). We'll be taking the station live soon, and so my attention has turned to getting the CD program ready for the launch.

Since I can't imagine why any musician would not want to participate in a program that could make them money while they're sleeping, I was just wondering why more of you haven't signed up for this. Perhaps you already have all the income you need?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: CD question

that doesn't apply to us Old World dwellers yet does it, chris?
    i'd be only too glad to see my music on a cd.
    dont know about the rest of the animal kingdom though.

mick ů c

OK, I took care of it. Thanks for bringing up this point.

I see I have only one piece listed. I'll have to submit some more!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    OK, I took care of it. Thanks for bringing up this point.

I see I have only one piece listed. I'll have to submit some more!
    ONE PIECE! THAT'S IT! Your excellent music and JUST ONE PIECE SUBMITTED!
    What kind of musicians am I raising here? Young man, get your music in PRONTO or no GPO for you tonight!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by ailteoir
    that doesn't apply to us Old World dwellers yet does it, chris?
    i'd be only too glad to see my music on a cd.
    dont know about the rest of the animal kingdom though.

mick ů c
    Hey, Mick.

I've been considering opening up the CD sales for everyone. I would still only be able to ship them to the US and Canada, but that's a pretty big market. If I do, you would be paid for sales monthly in US dollars by a check drawn on a US bank, sent by regular postal mail. Do you think that would work out okay for the folks in Europe and elsewhere? I don't have any experience traveling outside the states and so am somewhat ignorant regarding whether that would be a hassle for you guys or still a good thing. I'd appreciate any perspective on this you could offer.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Hi Chris

Obviously i canít speak for everyone but I do feel sure that most of us outside the US would welcome the chance to ply our wares in North America.
    Although the banking systems differ from country to country here in Europe I donít see any major difficulty with cheques drawn on an American bank. It will of course take some time to clear the cheques and I donít know how much, or if, the bank here would charge for the service, so it might be an idea to maybe not send a cheque every month but say when the individualís share reaches a certain value. Fifty dollars was the old mp3.comís lower limit before they sent a cheque out, and this is my one and only experience of American cheques but I remember that it was fairly painless.
    The only complication would be the tax agreements between the US and the individual countries concerned. As far as Holland is concerned there is an agreement that money earned in the US can be payed directly to the recipient without any deductions, again I know this from my old mp3.com days, and I think it is the same for most of the European Union. Outside of the EU i havenít a clue. Although I donít think the earnings are going to be high enough to warrant the IRS asigning a crack team of commando accountants to deal with the international GPO brother-and-sisterhood, it might be an idea to see how things stand in this respect, because you never know... Perhaps others here on the forum who have experience in this field could share their knowledge..
    Whew I donít normally stay serious that long, but I hope it gives an idea.

SlŠn

Mick ů c
    AA

It will of course take some time to clear the cheques and I donít know how much, or if, the bank here would charge for the service, so it might be an idea to maybe not send a cheque every month but say when the individualís share reaches a certain value.
    Here in the Netherlands American cheques usually take two weeks to get processed, and the service charge is 10 EUR. So it probably makes more sense to only send a cheque once a year (or half-year) or until a certain amount is reached. $50 sounds about right.

Philip van Galen

Hy chris,

i checked all boxes of my songs, and a CD with my master Tracks is on the way by post.

cu andy

Hi Chris

Obviously i canít speak for everyone but I do feel sure that most of us outside the US would welcome the chance to ply our wares in North America.
    Although the banking systems differ from country to country here in Europe I donít see any major difficulty with cheques drawn on an American bank. It will of course take some time to clear the cheques and I donít know how much, or if, the bank here would charge for the service, so it might be an idea to maybe not send a cheque every month but say when the individualís share reaches a certain value. Fifty dollars was the old mp3.comís lower limit before they sent a cheque out, and this is my one and only experience of American cheques but I remember that it was fairly painless.
    The only complication would be the tax agreements between the US and the individual countries concerned. As far as Holland is concerned there is an agreement that money earned in the US can be payed directly to the recipient without any deductions, again I know this from my old mp3.com days, and I think it is the same for most of the European Union. Outside of the EU i havenít a clue. Although I donít think the earnings are going to be high enough to warrant the IRS asigning a crack team of commando accountants to deal with the international GPO brother-and-sisterhood, it might be an idea to see how things stand in this respect, because you never know... Perhaps others here on the forum who have experience in this field could share their knowledge..
    Whew I donít normally stay serious that long, but I hope it gives an idea.

SlŠn

Mick ů c
    AA
    Hey, Mick.

Appreciate the info. In the US, a company has to do tax withholding for employees, but for business to business transactions, taxes on income are the responsibility of the person earning the income. I suspect that's normal, and so I may well open CD sales up to everyone. I'll make a post when I do...

Thanks!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by galenp
    Here in the Netherlands American cheques usually take two weeks to get processed, and the service charge is 10 EUR. So it probably makes more sense to only send a cheque once a year (or half-year) or until a certain amount is reached. $50 sounds about right.

Philip van Galen
    Hey, Philip.

Appreciate the info. I could probably set up something in the composer info to allow people to effectively say, "don't cut me a cheque below $xx.xx amount", which would allow people in different countries who have to pay processing fees on US cheques to determine what amount would be worth paying the fee on. That would be something I could review each month so that people would get CD proceeds as soon as that amount was reached instead of waiting for an arbitarary half or full year mark.

Thanks!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum