• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO - First impressions

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up GPO - First impressions

Great library for the money. Lots of sounds and gets you going easily as I suspected it would. These are suggestions that I think would help round off the library for GPO Ext.
    Brass: Needs more bite. The Horns need more than one ff patch plus a good pp-ff mod wheel control program (maybe thats all it needs is one patch like that). The trumpets and bones could use this too. A stac trumpet and trombone (shorter than what can be achieved currently) would be great.
    In the short run adding the SAM brass collection makes for a killer combo.

Strings: Non vib patch? Also how about a sus-trem MW crossfade patch. (Easily made in Kontakt). As far as the Double Basses are concerned the first thing I did was send them to outputs 3-4 and add an EQ to tweak. Perhaps a pre-tweaked version would help in giving a nice fat bottom to the sound.

With Space Designer's 1.6s Grand hall and a little adjustment to the panning I was able to get really close to the sound of another library in the far mic position (not every sound of course).

Well done Gary! Shall I make the afore mentioned sus-trem MW patch for you?
    Chris

Re: GPO - First impressions

Chris,

Hi. I'm glad that you are enjoying your copy of GPO. Did you happen to download the new free update? There are some new "agressive" patches included that you might enjoy.

http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html

Now, about that crassfade patch. I'm curious as to how you are going to crossfade using the mod wheel, when the mod whell is specifically set up to control volume. Hmmm! :-)

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Chris,

Now, about that crassfade patch. I'm curious as to how you are going to crossfade using the mod wheel, when the mod whell is specifically set up to control volume. Hmmm! :-)

Jonny
    Well, if you could invert the envelope on one of the patches you'd have it...

Man, I love technology. Why didn't I think of that?!!!

Speaking of making new patches, anyone with the full Kontakt want to throw together some key switches instruments for me? I could really use switched string sections with just the muted, unmuted, pizz, and tremelo patches. I have limited amounts of ram and the current keyswitched patches like to bog my system down.

I know, I know, I need more ram! Tell me about it.

I'm not even sure if these would load into GPO. Oh well.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by chriscaouette
    These are suggestions that I think would help round off the library for GPO Ext.
    Brass: Needs more bite. The Horns need more than one ff patch plus a good pp-ff mod wheel control program (maybe thats all it needs is one patch like that). The trumpets and bones could use this too. A stac trumpet and trombone (shorter than what can be achieved currently) would be great.
    In the short run adding the SAM brass collection makes for a killer combo.

Strings: Also how about a sus-trem MW crossfade patch. (Easily made in Kontakt).
    Chris
    Glad you like the library. Thanks for your suggestions. As stated by Jonny, the update has more aggressive brass (and string) patches. If you aren't as yet familiar with the changes here is a link to the documentation for the update: http://www.garritan.com/Update/GPOUpdate.pdf Also note that the brass "overlays" are meant to be layered with the individual instruments (ensemble building) to give more body and brightness when you require a large section. In the French horns the layering can result in a section of almost any brightness you desire by adjusting relative levels between layers and, as long as they are assigned to the same MIDI channel, they will act as if they are under the same MW volume/timbre control. The update has a new controller (cc21) called "length" control. It can be adjusted for very short staccato notes.

A string patch programmed for a sus-trem crossfade would need to use something other than the mod wheel. In all Expressive type instruments (most strings and winds) in GPO the mod wheel has the function of controlling volume/timbre. That's one of the conventions of the library. The mod wheel is not used for anything else in GPO. You could pick some un-used controller to create such a patch, if you like.

Please note that if you use GPO in the full version of Kontakt after you apply the update you will need to add cc21 data (at a value of about 64) to each track to achieve the same instrument release times as the player. The full version of Kontakt does not have the ability to assign default load values like the player does.

Tom

I should have mentioned that most of the X-Custom instruments in the update have a "brightness" control. This will be of more value once NI works out the bug that has been discussed in other threads. These instruments can be used now but only if the assignable slider is left untouched. Move the slider and you have problems.

Tom

Hello all,
    I am using the new updated patched yet I still find the staccato of the brass too long. However, I will try the cc21 as that may introduce the length I want.

I messed with the horn patches for a while but I couldn't get the same brightness as SAM horns, but they were great otherwise. Perhaps I am thinking of overblown horns. (On a side note SAM Horns is the only lib I have that doesn't give you that buzzy sound when the horns get into their overblown state). The brightness control may take care of a lot of this once the bug is fixed.

It was late and I was tired so I forgot about the mod wheel but another controller could be used for the sus-trem xfade as mentioned.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    I listened to the sams horns*looked it up* and I think they sound good in some aspects, but the problem I have had when listening to these types of libraries is it seems they cater to the "hollywood" sound.
    Thats the sound I want! GPO has nice soft horns but I think more people today would rather have a more modern (?) sound. I guess this is where the overblow comes in.

This is no offense to other libraries as they seem to get the job done for the hollywood sound. Personally I would rather see those type of articulations in the individual form with seperate players to choose from. I think this would please both crowds.

On a side note you might want to try CC16 with the aggressive patches in conjunction with the lenght.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Chris

I listened to the sams horns*looked it up* and I think they sound good in some aspects, but the problem I have had when listening to these types of libraries is it seems they cater to the "hollywood" sound.

Thats the sound I want! GPO has nice soft horns but I think more people today would rather have a more modern (?) sound. I guess this is where the overblow comes in.

Bright, brassy french horns are an innovation from Wagner forward. Its not really "Hollywood", just not "Baroque" or "Classical". Stravinsky, Britten, Shostakovich all had brassy french horns in their work.

The "aggressive" horns are good for a bright forte, but when it comes to bright fortissimo and louder, new samples are needed. Layering in the ff overlay can help, but it beefs up the horn count too much, hence altering the true orchestration and rendering useless the unique GPO concept of "ensemble building" for ff brass passages.

I also agree that there should be some brass attacks recorded and programed like the sus+short violins are. Artificially sharpening attacks does not provide the realistic overtones and "breakup" of a true marcato attack.
    http://hopkins.composerarts.com

The Project SAM Solo Sessions Brass is a great addition to GPO although you'll need Kontakt to use them. I usually use these for staccatos and other articulations. Most of the time I'll use them as the 1st Trumpet, 1st and 2nd French Horn and 1st Trombone. They really beef up the sound of GPO.

They have used some of the programming features like in GPO. One of the noticable features is filtering between velocity layers. This really gets rid of the timbre jumps between layers. The brass are not overly bright like the brass in QLSO and a couple other libraries. They fit fine in older classical type pieces.

Go Back to forum