• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beginner's question: can you notate

Share/Bookmark

Question Beginner's question: can you notate

Hey guys,

First of all, I'm an amateur composer who just loves the sound quality of the GPO samples.

Now, my question is, can one notate using GPO? Is there a software in the package that allows you to create, from scratch, a MIDI file to be played by the GPO samples, or do you need another program, like Finale or Sibelius, to do that?

Thank you!

Re: Beginner's question: can you notate

Yup, like neo said, the GPO package comes with all of the basic tools you'd need for making music with GPO: the samples, Cubasis VST sequencer, ambience plug in and of course Overture SE (which I'm using as I type this). and Joseph Burrell has written a lovely tutorial for using GPO with Overture.
    Tim

You can notate to your heart's content!

Overture SE is an astounding addition to the GPO package and worth the minimal effort required to learn.

And in case your committment to notation is serious, you should know that Overture is coming out with an updated version relatively soon.

You can click here: http://geniesoft.com/forum/ for info/questions.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks guys for the quick answers.

Here's another question that I've asked to dozens of people without once getting a definite answer.

I'm buying an iBook G4.

I want to then buy GPO and install it on the iBook.

Does the iBook support MIDI? Will it recognize it, is there a soundcard with MIDI capabilities or do I need to buy a separate, external sound card to use GPO and listen to my stuff being played by the sampler?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imagegod
    You can notate to your heart's content!

Overture SE is an astounding addition to the GPO package and worth the minimal effort required to learn.

And in case your committment to notation is serious, you should know that Overture is coming out with an updated version relatively soon.

You can click here: http://geniesoft.com/forum/ for info/questions.

Good luck and have fun!
    Well, I am in general agreement with the use of the bundled Overture SE, but I don't use it because of some (to me) very serious limitations, which include tuplets other than triplets, complex tuplets, various inversions, augmentation, etc. -- which are all very important to anyone doing a lot of counterpoint.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I don't use it because of some (to me) very serious limitations, which include tuplets other than triplets, complex tuplets, various inversions, augmentation, etc. -- which are all very important to anyone doing a lot of counterpoint.

Richard
    I'm a complete amateur so I have no idea what those terms mean. But if you have any interest in Overture whatsoever (and take my word, with what I'd guess is a professional/academic interest, I'd be the last person to try and persuade you) I'd recommend that you use the supplied link and ask Don (Overture's owner/head software writer, I believe) for any feature you want.

When it comes to modifying his product in accordance with consumer demand, the man is truly in a league by himself. And I say this with all due respect to Gary, who is phenomenal in his own right. I find it hard to believe how attuned (no pun intended ) he is to the market as a whole as well as to individual consumers...he sees he the trees as well as the forest.

But again, this is coming from someone with zero music training. My goal is to create wonderful, magical classical music...but your perspective may (and probably is) completely different.

As always, just a thought!

[QUOTE=imagegod]I'm a complete amateur so I have no idea what those terms mean. But if you have any interest in Overture whatsoever (and take my word, with what I'd guess is a professional/academic interest, I'd be the last person to try and persuade you) I'd recommend that you use the supplied link and ask Don (Overture's owner/head software writer, I believe) for any feature you want.

You can do tuplets other than triplets in GPO. Look under the Notes menu, or look in the Step Entry palette.
    http://hopkins.composerarts.com

Go Back to forum