• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Some music of mine

Share/Bookmark

The Lost Legion - Some initial scoring ideas

This is a "mood test" for a film I will be scoring in 2005:

The Lost Legion - Theme 02 - Draft (opening titles, first shots)

There are no visuals yet, only a synopsis and a nearly finished scenario. Work is starting this month on the dialogues, so I got involved in this project from a very early moment. We will probably create a trailer for the film this winter. The film itself is scheduled for release early 2006.

See PeterRoos.com for some background info on the project.

Curious about your reactions,
    Kind regards,
    Last edited by PeterRoos; 12-11-2004 at 03:24 PM.

Re: Some music of mine

Nice! Would like to hear more.

Best,
    Jay

Thumbs up Re: Some music of mine

Very nice Peter. Great melody too.

More!!
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Nice, very "picturesque", especially the beginning. The first repetition of the theme is varied through orchestral colors, although my inner ear requested some (very delicate) development melodically as well. Of course, my inner ear is all but perfect!

Cheers,

Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

Very nice. Good sound quality and balance overall and good use of the dynamics in the composition .. powerful elegy, with no longing for the big badaboom final chorus.

One thing caught my ear, and that is the guitar. In program music the acoustical guitar is - to me - mostly used for symbolism of the spanish elements when played the spanish style, or symbolism for the sparse classical era when played classical style, or when played alone a symbolism for the sparse and simple wandering troubadour of the middle ages.
    This guitar performance however - which is really nice by the way - I can't really place. It doesn't swoop me away to a specific place and time in my mind. It is not spanish in the firey way, nor is it classical and nor is it there to lay down counterpoint-y chords for the melody. Perhaps it can symbolize the simplicity of a nostalgic middle ages but .. I just don't see the story-telling reason for it to be there. But it would have to be replaced by something if taken out - like a harp - otherwise the melody would be lost.

Zimmer used guitar in the opening sequence of Gladiator to symbolize the spanish-ism in General Maximus's person. That guitar is played in the rather typical spanish classical firey way. Besides from that, there would be no obvious reason for a guitar to be there.

This is just a small detail of course, and by no means does this guitar sound wierd or funny or wrong. Perhaps it is because I don't know everything about the story. This is just the kind of thoughts and critique I would like to hear myself, if asked for, so that is why I mentioned it.
    But hey, very nice work indeed
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Hi Peter,

Nice work and good wishes for the project. Libs you used?

Very nice stuff Peter, I especially love the guitar. The melody is bittersweet and the modulation around 57 secs is very ear-catching. I love the textures...all in all a very strong realization of a very strong composition. Good luck with the show.

Strange post by Tomke. I think the best reason to use ANY instrument is because it sounds good.

Concerning the playing of the guitar: Don´t use so much arpeggios, please. It makes the thing more kitsch than beautiful. An arpeggio is there to accent something. If you accent everything it is inflationary and has no effect anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mathis
    Strange post by Tomke. I think the best reason to use ANY instrument is because it sounds good.

Concerning the playing of the guitar: Don´t use so much arpeggios, please. It makes the thing more kitsch than beautiful. An arpeggio is there to accent something. If you accent everything it is inflationary and has no effect anymore.
    Who says? Since when? Sounds fine to me.... I think it would sound too thin without it....He's not trying to write a Classical Guitar Concerto is he?

Frank

Actually, its interesting that a reference was made to Hans Zimmer using a guitar in Gladiator. Im not sure if the guitar had even been invented then but something Zimmer has always said is that he is not a "musical historian"

If it sounds good use it I say. Obviously some care has to be taken, an Access Virus might not work to depict Roman times.

Oh, and what Joanne said; What libs Peter? Spill the beans!!
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Go Back to forum