• Register
  • Help

Topic: I wish somebody would've told me before thread

Share/Bookmark

I wish somebody would've told me before thread

I would like to inaugurate a thread dedicated to putting our collective knowledge into one place.

TIPs only TIPS -- be it small or large. And discuss please.

I have 3 I wish I woulda known from the beginning.

1. The LAST thing you should muck with is the CPU quality knob in the reverb. 100% aOK.

2. The first thing you should muck with is the polyphony settings for the individual instruments.

This one MAC related.

3. Holding down the SHIFT key gives you all 64 channels.

Thanks all,
    Jerry

Re: I wish somebody would've told me before thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Berg
    2. The first thing you should muck with is the polyphony settings for the individual instruments.
    While I encourage everyone to play around with polyphony settings one needs to be very familiar with the goals of the programming so that the consequences of polyphony changes are thoroughly understood. For example, changing solo wind instrument polyphony to anything other than the default "1" will disable the (sustain pedal) tongue/slur feature. On the other hand, knowing this, the user can activate the tongue/slur feature in the "Plr" instruments by reducing the polyphony to "1" instead of the usual "6."

Intelligent restrictive use of polyphony for instruments like harp and piano can also save CPU resources in some situations.

Tom

The only way a lot of us Mac users can get more instruments to play is buy actually reducing the polyphony. I can get a chamber orchestra to play by using only solo instruments and significantly reducing the string polyphony to about 6 each.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

So much of what we talk about with regard to clicks, pops and other undesirable results, have a lot to do with polyphony as Tom and others have stated. I really don't understand what the problem is. If the harp, timpani, piano or any other instrument for that matter, create problems..... just record it to an audio track. Mute the midi going to that instrument for the rest of the project. If you need to change a phrase or section, simply "go back" and re-record that phrase. This is of course, only an option for those using a sequencer or DAW.
    DPDAN

That's what I do when I have a full orchestra piece. The only pain is that for some reason the timing is never quite perfect. I always have to go through and move some stuff around.

... I am getting better at it though! Even having to do that... orchestra music should NEVER come this easy. Even us slow computer dudes got it good.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum