• Register
  • Help

Topic: Synchronize to Finale?

Share/Bookmark

Synchronize to Finale?

Hello all,
    Pardon the fact that this is my second question of the day...
    Regarding audio capture synchronization with Finale- is it possible? GS3 is armed and "waiting for sequencer", and Finale is playing the file. I'm interested in bouncing tracks for more Gpulse, but I can't figure out how to get GS3 synchronized with Finale 04.
    By the way, GS3 recognizes that external midi data is being sent, it just won't record it in sync.
    GS3 Orchestra v3.3
    Finale 04
    WinXPpro SP2
    Jason DeWater aka Lickety-Split
    Very busy, yet always unproductive.
    Some of my music is here:
    http://www.audiostreet.net/jasondewater

Re: Synchronize to Finale?

No version of Finale currently will send MIDI clock data to auto-start Gigastudio capture. I have complained to Tom Johnson at Finale...he seems fascinated by those of us using Finale with Gigastudio...but no word on any plans to add such features to finale. This caused me many headaches with mixing in 2.54, but with GS3, if I use one, or two instances of Gigapulse on the Aux Sends...panning in the MIDI for proper left to right placement, I can record just about anything in one pass.

I am curious about one thing though...guess I should post this as a topic...

If I adjust the stereo image in the GS3 mixer to try to give forward to backward placement...it doesn't appear that narrowing the field of a gigapulsed sample is doing anything. I can't hear a difference anyway.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by saxophone4
    I have complained to Tom Johnson at Finale...he seems fascinated by those of us using Finale with Gigastudio...
    So am I, fascinated! Isn't the FINALE "sequence" a bit stiff? I know they have a "human feel playback" kind if feature. How does it "feel"?

To be honest, I haven't "gotten there" as yet but I'm curious.
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

The human playback is a cool idea, but in 2004 it would basically do strange things with crescendos...it would crescendo...but not like a cross-fade...like the soft beginnings were the loud sample velocities at soft volume that increased in volume. So the soft still sounded like the player was wailing, but a mile a way. Also some of the patch change components have issues if human playback is enabled. I have Finale 2005, but really haven't played around with it much yet. I doubt these issues were addressed, however, as no literature mentioned it.

Tom Johnson seemed excited about sitting down with me and discussing the use of Finale with Gigastudio. That was February...I haven't heard a word from him since. Oh well?!?

I found that I quickly abandoned HP. The tempo does strange things. Plus, each time you playback, you have to wait for it to scan the whole score.

I believe Finale can still sync with GigaStudio. Can anyone experiencing this problem please e-mail me at andersonalex@hotmail.com?

Many changes were made regarding dynamics and volume changes going into Finale 2005 and 2005a.

The Apply Human Playback plugin is a way to get around the lengthy processing time.

"Also some of the patch change components have issues if human playback is enabled."

Use Expressions for patch changes. There won't be problems. If you use Apply HP, you can also add patch changes via the MIDI Tool (expressions are usually faster though, since they can be metatooled).

"The tempo does strange things."

You can turn off the tempo component of HP if you don't like the results, or you can vary its affect.

Thanks. Maybe I'll upgrade to 2005 after all...

You might first consider downloading the demo to see if the improvements cover what you need.

Go Back to forum