• Register
  • Help

Topic: Film Music Composers- I need your advice.!!

Share/Bookmark

Film Music Composers- I need your advice.!!

Hello everybody!

ITs My right here and i'm a music producer (urban and Pop music producer) and i've produced 2 years ago a soundtrackt for a movie Nominee at Cannes Festival (canadian movie) and since that experience, i really loved it that i continue write music soundtrack. And early of last year I met this Bew York lady filmmaker and we connect right away. Anwyays, allt hat to say that i'm now into this beautifull adventure and this one that i',m woring right now is very different then the first one because the first i did compose the music and mix them then I gave them the soundtrack and they place it.

- This one I already send snipet of THEMES for the movie and the filmmaker loves them all. But now she is gonna send me a dvd in Data for me to be able to load it in Nuendo because i did the soundtrack all in Neundo. So i would love to get more advices about how you guyz proceed.

- When you recieve a footage of the movie .. what do you do? Ofr course in my case i already have the Themes chosen and i was able to wrote them because she send me the script before the movie was shoot. So i worked on. Can someon really give mne god avice and the step on how to approach it.

- Also When you guyz compose the songs for the or soundtrack.. I mena if you,load the movie in Neundo, do you follow a certain tempo while composing? I mena how does it really work? What do i need to make sure at the end i'll deliver the project?

Hope you guyz understand me and wish to get so,me good advice. Thank you so much

Truly and happy holidays

My

Re: Film Music Composers- I need your advice.!!

Hi My
    Not shure whether I really understand your question. Some general advice:
    Make shure you have a spotting session with at least the director to decide exactly where in the film the music should go and what you want to achieve with the music before you start anything. That leads to a cue list with time codes so you know what segments you have to load into your computer. When you have that, I would place the video segments in your sequencer and find the hit points (where there should be an accent, change of mood etc.). Mark the dialogs and planned sound effects to make shure you leave enough space for them. If you dont do it, the mixer will without mercy...

The two main effects of film music is emotion and perception of time. Carefully plan for each segment what you want to achieve.

If you have any chance, try to read some books on the subject and meet some people with experience to help you get started. Since I see your from Montreal, visit the site of the forum member Ned Bouhalassa: http://www.nedfx.com from montreal. Besides beeing a nice guy, he has the needed experience and maybe can tell you where you can meet other people of the field...
    Good luck
    rené

Hey rené!
    Howa re you doing its My right here.. thank thank you so much for your input.. and i think you relly did understand what i wanted. I really appreciate and i'l take your comment in note and i'll check also that site of Ned Bouhalassa.

Gracias amigo.. really appreciate.. and howabout you , are u also in music film composition? Let me know

Again thank you

Have a wonderfull hollidays

My
    My For Solar Musik Group

For one, in my experience it's downright dangerous to start composing before you see the movie. You should at least have a look at uncut raw footage of the scenes you will write music for. You might write wonderful music that would stand on its own as a kind of "symphonic poem" or another story-driven composition, but it might not fit in the movie version.

Two: Myself, I view the movie several times over, then load it all into Cubase and start doing temp score, but not in any rational order ... might do the ending first, then beginning, then middle ... as for tempo, it's sure to change all the time and it's rare for a whole scene o have a 120 bpm music ... then again, it might be just what you need ... the software can do it all if possible, have the producer/director look at your progress every now and then to make sure you agree on the music ...

there seem to be as many music writing approaches as there are composers

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by fmfgs
    If you have any chance, try to read some books on the subject
    Hey, René.

What books would you recommend in this area?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Hey, René.

What books would you recommend in this area?
    Hi Chris
    I'm more familiar with german books like:
    Norbert J.Schneider: Komponieren für Film und Fernsehen

As far as I know these are the 3 leading books in english (price from amazon):
    On the Track: A Guide to Contemporary Film Scoring by Fred Karlin, et al (Paperback) $ 60.--
    Complete Guide to Film Scoring by Richard Davis (Paperback) $16.47
    The Reel World: Scoring for Pictures by Jeff Rona (Paperback) $16.97

To My:
    Yes I work in that field. I will even come to Montreal next may to see the mix of a film I'm working on. Maybe you can show me then what came out of your adventure...
    rené

I noticed that "fmfgs" posted that "On the Track" was a good book to study from regarding the technical aspects of film scoring.

I have a question... I noticed that the $60 paperback version (2nd edition) has about half the amount of pages as the original book.... I was wondering why? What's missing? I'm trying to determine which version I should purchase for myself.

Can you or someone else help me with this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 88chopin
    I noticed that "fmfgs" posted that "On the Track" was a good book to study from regarding the technical aspects of film scoring.

I have a question... I noticed that the $60 paperback version (2nd edition) has about half the amount of pages as the original book.... I was wondering why? What's missing? I'm trying to determine which version I should purchase for myself.

Can you or someone else help me with this?

Thanks
    Page count can be misleading since the formatting of the book can change from edition to edition. If, for instance, the 2nd ed was a larger book with smaller type, that would of course reduce page count.

I have no experience with this particular book and so I think yours is a legit question, but I thought that might be worth taking into account. I'm a little punchy about page count since technical and programming books tend to be sold by the pound, with publishers somehow thinking that a bigger book as a good thing. And of course, programmers don't have time to read War and Peace, they just want the answers to their questions. But I digress...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum