• Register
  • Help

Topic: Film Music Composer, I need advices..!!

Share/Bookmark

Film Music Composer, I need advices..!!

Hello everybody!

ITs My right here and i'm a music producer (urban and Pop music producer) and i've produced 2 years ago a soundtrackt for a movie Nominee at Cannes Festival (canadian movie) and since that experience, i really loved it that i continue write music soundtrack. And early of last year I met this Bew York lady filmmaker and we connect right away. Anwyays, allt hat to say that i'm now into this beautifull adventure and this one that i',m woring right now is very different then the first one because the first i did compose the music and mix them then I gave them the soundtrack and they place it.

- This one I already send snipet of THEMES for the movie and the filmmaker loves them all. But now she is gonna send me a dvd in Data for me to be able to load it in Nuendo because i did the soundtrack all in Neundo. So i would love to get more advices about how you guyz proceed.

- When you recieve a footage of the movie .. what do you do? Ofr course in my case i already have the Themes chosen and i was able to wrote them because she send me the script before the movie was shoot. So i worked on. Can someon really give mne god avice and the step on how to approach it.

- Also When you guyz compose the songs for the or soundtrack.. I mena if you,load the movie in Neundo, do you follow a certain tempo while composing? I mena how does it really work? What do i need to make sure at the end i'll deliver the project?

Hope you guyz understand me and wish to get so,me good advice. Thank you so much

Truly and happy holidays

My

Re: Film Music Composer, I need advices..!!

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Musik
    Hello everybody!

ITs My right here and i'm a music producer (urban and Pop music producer) and i've produced 2 years ago a soundtrackt for a movie Nominee at Cannes Festival (canadian movie) and since that experience, i really loved it that i continue write music soundtrack. And early of last year I met this Bew York lady filmmaker and we connect right away. Anwyays, allt hat to say that i'm now into this beautifull adventure and this one that i',m woring right now is very different then the first one because the first i did compose the music and mix them then I gave them the soundtrack and they place it.

- This one I already send snipet of THEMES for the movie and the filmmaker loves them all. But now she is gonna send me a dvd in Data for me to be able to load it in Nuendo because i did the soundtrack all in Neundo. So i would love to get more advices about how you guyz proceed.

- When you recieve a footage of the movie .. what do you do? Ofr course in my case i already have the Themes chosen and i was able to wrote them because she send me the script before the movie was shoot. So i worked on. Can someon really give mne god avice and the step on how to approach it.

- Also When you guyz compose the songs for the or soundtrack.. I mena if you,load the movie in Neundo, do you follow a certain tempo while composing? I mena how does it really work? What do i need to make sure at the end i'll deliver the project?

Hope you guyz understand me and wish to get so,me good advice. Thank you so much

Truly and happy holidays

My
    On the Track: A Guide to Contemporary Film Scoring, Complete Guide to Film Scoring. Check these books out, they will give you most of the help you need.

Christiaan

Hey Christian!

How are you .. thank oyu for your reply but can you be more precise where i can get these books? THank you so much

My

Smile Re: Film Music Composer, I need advices..!!

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Musik
    Hey Christian!

How are you .. thank oyu for your reply but can you be more precise where i can get these books? THank you so much

My
    Your welcome! Amazon has both of these books. If you look up film scoring on Amazon it will come up with many more. "The Reel World" by Jeff Rona (also on Amazon) is also very helpful.

Good luck!

Christiaan

As for me, I figure I would do something like this. First rip the movie off of the DVD and use my Video editing program to convert it into a usable video format for my seq. While the video program is doing that I would take the pre-composed themes and convert them to standard MIDI files. I would create a new file in my seq where I would import the video I converted with Vegas, and then I would also import all the MIDI files into separated locations into the new seq file. That way I would end up with all the themes and also the video in the same file. One could also split it up into cues and split the video into several parts and make a new seq file for each cue.

After that, the work could start. First off using the thematic contents and adjust it into usable material for the movie and also putting right in sync - and of course creating modulations between the themes and so on ... and finally, paste the finished 1st version of the music into the video with my video editing software and create a low-resolution video clip which I would place on my server for the director to fecth and look at when he/she has the time for it.

That is my first thought of how I would go about it

As for the tempo I work with, that depends on wether the music material is going to contain recordings by live players in the end, or if the entire music is going to be performed by pro's or if the music is just going to stay in the seq - using the mockup in the final product. If the mockup is going to be on the final product then I don't care that much what the tempo is, as long as the cue points are hit spot on and as long as the mockup is not going to be complemented by anything else that some other guy will provide. I just make sure the environment I'm creating when I'm working allows me to change things quickly if needed.
    If real players are going to do it, then I'm very careful with tempos and such, making sure that whatever I put into the seq will come out properly formatted on sheets and also that the tempos and cue-points will make sense to the players, and also to the conductor if one is used. I guess my key thing is saving as much time as possible when I work, and preparing the material in such a way that anything that comes after my efforts can be used or added or whatever as smoothly and quickly as possible.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum