• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Academic version?

Share/Bookmark

Question Academic version?

Started receiving my PC parts today (woo hoo!). Soon I will build this monster. The last purchases scheduled will be GS3 itself and Cubase SX2 or SX3 (still researching). The quest to save a little dough here and there has brought "Academic Pricing" on GS3 and Cubase to my attention.

In general what's the difference between the academic version and the regular version of either one of these programs? Are there registration hoops to jump through?

Re: Academic version?

The difference isn't in the product; just the owner.

Is there any difference in the registration process?

Normally, an Academic version is "restricted" in the sense that you can't upgrade it to the next version. For example, an Academic MS Win2000 license can not be upgraded to a MS WinXP license.

The registration process should be the same.

You also aren't supposed to use academic products for commercial purposes. Just personal use.
    Tim

Not sure about GS3, but back when I was a student I got Cubase VST at an academic discount price. Over the years I've upgraded it Cubase SX 1, then 2, and now 3. There are no academic price breaks on the upgrades, but you do qualify for them.

I don't think there's an academic discount for students now on Cubase(only institutions) but there is on GigaStudio 3 as that is what I have just bought myself as a student.

Hmm there are a lot of varying opinions here. I would check with each vendor. For instance, there is a price break for academics, for Logic 7 at least $400 off. Its the real deal not a 'limited edition'

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by MayorPeete
    Is there any difference in the registration process?
    I can't speak for these particular products but usually there is a significant difference in the registration process or everyone would buy academic versions. Most companies require various forms of proof such as an invoice from an academic institution, church, etc. before the product will be authorized. Be sure to find out all the specific requirements before making the purchase or you'll be left with unusable software.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    Normally, an Academic version is "restricted" in the sense that you can't upgrade it to the next version. For example, an Academic MS Win2000 license can not be upgraded to a MS WinXP license.

The registration process should be the same.
    Not necessarily so. I own a lot of academic version software. It's that same thing 90% of the time only that students and teachers get a discount.
    I own Academic versions of W2K and had no problems with the XP upgade. I don't know where you got that information but it is false.

Go Back to forum