• Register
  • Help

Topic: Interesting News: Brainwave Cap Next MIDI controller?

Share/Bookmark

Interesting News: Brainwave Cap Next MIDI controller?

A BBC article reports that a team of US scientists have shown that controlling devices with the brain is a step closer. They developed a 'thinking cap' which will allow a computer to receive commands from a person's brain activity. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4074869.stm

This cap allows users to control a curser by mere thought alone - no hands or other physical gestures, just pure thought.

"The results show that people can learn to use scalp-recorded electroencephalogram rhythms to control rapid and accurate movement of a cursor in two directions," said scientists Jonathan Wolpaw and Dennis McFarlane.

Remember a short while back when we were discussing about alternative MIDI controllers? Maybe we found the answer. A MIDI cap.

Re: Interesting News: Brainwave Cap Next MIDI controller?

And instead of a mod wheel, you stick your tongue in and out.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    And instead of a mod wheel, you stick your tongue in and out.
    Bite your tongue.

Hey, why did everything suddenly get so quiet?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

just the thing ... control your midi and hide your dodgy haircut at the same time. where was this twenty years ago when we needed it!

mick ˇ c

My poor old brain hurts just thinking of the thinking one would have to think in order to think that curser around the window.

Overture would finely be a breeze. Controlling the note values and accidentals with the keyboard and moving that elusive curser around with one's brain would be a real trip.

Karl

We talk on subjects such as this it always reminds me of,

"IT'S ALIVE ... IT'S ALIVE!"

What every you do fellows, don't put one on during ...................
    Styxx

I read about a computer game character being controlled by the computer (I see it's mentioned at the end of the article). It certainly seems exciting! Last year in high school I did a project on neural networks and I learned that the brain is very placid. In other words, it is a fantastic learner. By hooking equipment (expensive equipment, of course) to the head that can read certain brain patterns and have it output something, your brain will learn how to control the output! Well, it's a little more complicated than that, but I'm no scientist. I'm not sure if there may be long term effects of this kind of brain control, after all, you are changing the way the brain works. Also, it's expensive, so I doubt we'll get try this stuff out anytime soon. Of course, using the brain to operate things is nothing new . . . that's how our entire bodies work

I thought the computer game controlling article was also interesting, here's a link to that:

http://news-info.wustl.edu/tips/page/normal/911.html

As you may know, I am very lazy, so if I don't even have to move my hand to control the computer, I'm happy.

I think this kind of science could be of most benefit to those who may have lost and arm or a leg and can control a robotic one.

Perhaps I could even get some extra arms put on . . . You know, a Spiderman 2 kind of thing . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Well, now that I've lived to see real-time pitch correction and a software version of a MiniMoog I'll believe anything...

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    I'd be interested to see what my brain would write on its own. *laughs*

Only kidding

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    I'd be interested to see what my brain would write on its own. *laughs*
    Well, if such a thing existed you could use it while dreaming- that ought to produce wild results!

Go Back to forum