• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: You're invited to witness The Experiment!!!

Share/Bookmark

You're invited to witness The Experiment!!!

OK, here's the deal with this.

We did a little throwaway song at the end of an album two years ago. It's kind of a little Pink Floyd meets Lucky Man chill out song. A compilation has requested to use it and we thought we could find a much more interesting way of doing the song for it.
    So, we got the bright idea that we could play with all the new fun toys and do a symphonic version of it. This will be our test for
    A) how does GOS sound with a band, and
    B) how does it sound layered with real strings???

So here's Stage One: scratch piano (GPO!!), drums, a vocal and the GOS strings. BTW I tried payering the GOS strings with the lush patches from GPO and the effect was pretty stunning. Unfortunately GPO was putting out some garbage in the audio. I suspect it's related to the controller wheel data but I have to fgure that out. So this version is al GOS. (of course this is a really rough mix- there's not even bass yet!!)

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...gons%20GOS.mp3

Stage Two should occur by early next week and have the real violin, viola and cello added. I'll post reults as soon as I have them!!

BTW if you want a comparison with the original, here it is:
    http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...%20Dragons.mp3
    This file has a glitch in the middle- I just couldn't get the tune to rip!! I tried two copies of it, too.

Re: You're invited to witness The Experiment!!!

I enjoyed "Heros and Dragons" - glad its no longer a throwaway and will make it into a compilation. Pink Floyd meets Lucky Man? That really piqued my interest! And I love experiments.

I think GOS sounds great with the band. Very lush and well arranged!

I can't wait to hear it layered with real violin, viola and cello.

Thanks for posting this. I hope this can be posted on the GPO page (or is this not possible with the compilation?)

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Thanks for posting this. I hope this can be posted on the GPO page (or is this not possible with the compilation?)

Gary Garritan
    Of course not- I'd love it!! Let me check with the co-writer to be sure. Our deal with the compilation is pretty informal and we keep all the rights so there should be no problem. Do you want to wait for something more finished?? I can still do a special mix with and without the extra real strings.

Fred

This is pretty amazing. Great job. I think if you can work it in, it would be cool to fully orchestrate it with the rest of the orchestra (kinda like Michael Kamen did with Metallica a while back).

Nonetheless, excellent job.

Jonny

By the way, great lyric writing!! :-)

"MANKIND HAS FALLEN!" (Awesome!)
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Fred,

Lovely! You did a tremendous job!

I wish that I could get the GPO piano to sound that good. How do you do it?
    Teach me!

Keep up the great work.

My best,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Fred

This is pretty amazing. Great job. I think if you can work it in, it would be cool to fully orchestrate it with the rest of the orchestra (kinda like Michael Kamen did with Metallica a while back).

Nonetheless, excellent job.

Jonny

By the way, great lyric writing!! :-)

"MANKIND HAS FALLEN!" (Awesome!)
    Thanks Johnny! We are goiing to add some woodwinds and brass and see how it sounds. BTW the lryics are by my cowriter Steve babb. That's the reason the compilation wanted the song- it wasn't the music

Larry, as far as I remember the piano has a small dip around 250 and some reverb and that's it.

BTW I'm off to add violin today! Cello is tomorrow and viola is Saturday.

Fred,

This has lots of potential. It's going to be great when you finish.

I think the strings are too heavy around 3:00 when they are backing up the vocal. In fact, you could vary the dynamics in the strings overall and it would be an improvement.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Fred, very well done! I must say that I loved the lyrics! This is a great discription and musical story of scripture. Keep up the great work...IMHO this better explains the Truth better than most attempts I've heard. Thank you again for sharing this with us all.

Sounds great. I can't wait to hear the next part of your "experiment".

The real first part, that is the original song, was interesting. The keyboard parts reminded me a bit of early Genesis (around the time of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway") but also a little of Camel (a jazz influenced piece you posted a few weeks ago reminded me a lot of Camel).
    Trent P. McDonald

Fred, this is really good....next cycle I'm going to listen to the lyrics I though that the strings starting at 1:15 needed at tweak but I do realise it's early days and am grateful for the chance to listen at this stage. There are some brilliant touches in this piece, I greatly look forward to hearing it when it's complete.....don't rush this one.... it's worth some attention to detail. I liked the small break after 3:00 when it is only vocal, drums and piano.....and the way the strings come in at 3:20, then the rythym change around 3:40. BTW, nice lyrics, vocals and drums too!

Frank

PS I continue to be amazed by the GPO piano in the right hands!! I have bought others in sales but fancy that I might have wasted my money!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast