• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Leslie?

Share/Bookmark

Leslie?

No, not Leslie Nielsen, Leslie as in Organ Leslie of the 60 and 70's organ craze. Anyone know of a good Leslie sample anywhere? We dunt have one in GPO do we Lucy? Got som splainin to do ifin we dunt! I need a leslie sound for my Babaloo concert mix tonight at the club. Fred and Ethel (who by the way was younger than Lucy) are comin up to do a Flap dunce for the audience tonight. A Flap dunce you ask? Well, it's kind of like a lap dunce but the every thin flaps cause of old age when you dunce cause of the...never mind before I get myself into hot water. Little Ricky is going to play the conga for all of you tonight.

Where the heck did I go with this post? Hmmmmm, oh yeah the Leslie! Well?
    Styxx

Re: Leslie?

Hmmm, well, it all depends on what you actually have access to, no?

My fav organ sounds of late:

NI B4 (softsynth, best Leslie sim so far)
    Roland Vintage Synth (module, Leslie on mod wheel, really good in a mix)
    Hammond Suzuki X-M1 (module with drawbars)
    The Roland VK organs

As far as libs I have no idea. Just haven't heard anything!!

I downloaded the Native Instruments B4 demo and was real impressed.

I downloaded the Native Instruments B4 demo and was real impressed. Styxx, if you have the organ track without and effect.... send it to me via MP3 and I will run it through my real Leslie that I modified for speaker input. I mic it and record the mics into the DAW, it works great, just make sure that the sound you use sounds like a B3, let me know, I would be happy to do this for you..
    If you send it, please put a scratch demo of the song without the organ on one channel, and the dry organ on the other

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    No, not Leslie Nielsen, Leslie as in Organ Leslie of the 60 and 70's organ craze. Anyone know of a good Leslie sample anywhere? We dunt have one in GPO do we Lucy? Got som splainin to do ifin we dunt! I need a leslie sound for my Babaloo concert mix tonight at the club. Fred and Ethel (who by the way was younger than Lucy) are comin up to do a Flap dunce for the audience tonight. A Flap dunce you ask? Well, it's kind of like a lap dunce but the every thin flaps cause of old age when you dunce cause of the...never mind before I get myself into hot water. Little Ricky is going to play the conga for all of you tonight.

Where the heck did I go with this post? Hmmmmm, oh yeah the Leslie! Well?
    There's a pretty good one in your SC-88 module, don't recall the patch name, ("Rotary" maybe?) but you have to tweak the velocity up a bit, like +25 or so. Hit the keys hard = rotor fast, play soft = rotor speed slow. Of course, in a real beezer, all the best stuff happens inbetween as the Leslie goes from fast to slow, or slow to fast.

Jim

Dude, forget all this high tech nonsense these guys are telling you. All you need is a mic, a Farfisa, and one of those little fans with the head that swings back and forth...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    I downloaded the Native Instruments B4 demo and was real impressed. Styxx, if you have the organ track without and effect.... send it to me via MP3 and I will run it through my real Leslie that I modified for speaker input. I mic it and record the mics into the DAW, it works great, just make sure that the sound you use sounds like a B3, let me know, I would be happy to do this for you..
    If you send it, please put a scratch demo of the song without the organ on one channel, and the dry organ on the other
    Cool! You offered so now I don't have to

But seriously, if there's some problem for some reason I'd be happy to take the MIDI file and put it through our arsenal of (fake) organs and the good old 147 w/ combo peramp!

Oh, HAVE to post this- for those of you who don't know how sweet the Native Instruments B4 sounds when paired up with a read-deal Leslie:

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...re%20Intro.mp3

:30, about 700k.

Edit- whoops, it's a lie!! A lie from hell! This was done with B4 straight out of the box, no external anything besides reverb. See, it's so good I can't even tell . Those guys at Native Instruments... wow...

Back in the 70s rock & roll days, when I drank too much to have any common sense, I hauled around a Hammond A3 (very similar to the B3, I couldn't tell the difference but my musical instrument repair friend could) that had been chopped into a cast metal frame and a full sized Leslie, all in addition to 200 watts of Fender amps and 16 12" speakers. For some reason, when it was time to break down at the end of the night, everyone else in the band seemed to disappear...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Got it! Thanks everyone.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum