• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: BWV 988: Goldberg Variations

Share/Bookmark

BWV 988: Goldberg Variations

Hi,

This is the well known aria from Bach’s Goldberg Variations, using the wonderful GPO harpsichord and Human Playback.

Click HERE for the MP3 file.

Click HERE for the notation PDF.

Here is my setup:

- Finale 2005a
    - It starts with plein-jeu (8’+4’) and then changes to 8’ for the repeat of first section, and back to plein-jeu for second section (using well-behave keyswitch expressions)
    - Human Playback with style Baroque; Trill Speed (HP prefs) has been slightly decreased (to 12 n/sec)
    - No MIDI tweaking at all: just right from the notation with HP.
    - Following rigorously the Urtext Edition (Baerenreiter Verlag), using the November font (a font of mine which includes all Bach ornaments – and HP compatible!)

Enjoy!

Robert

Re: BWV 988: Goldberg Variations

Belissima! The only thing I would work are some (not all) of the tremoli - they sound a bit machine-like. But the rest is absolutely great!

Thumbs up Re: BWV 988: Goldberg Variations

Sweet!
    Styxx

Robert,

Very impressive. It's interesting to hear how the man who programmed HP uses it.

Jeff

I don't know the piece but I enjoyed this too....I love the sound of plucked instruments generally. Sounds very real to me.

Frank

Thumbs up Re: BWV 988: Goldberg Variations

Absolutely amazing Robert.

Thanks for rendering this classic aria from Bach’s Goldberg Variations with Human Playback.

I find it hard to believe this is notation. It is very convincing and humanlike and one of the best harpsichord renditions I've heard.

Thanks for posting this. This really demonstrates the cabability of Human Playback. More! More!

Gary Garritan

Robert,

Thanks for doing this. The Goldberg Variations have always been one of my favorite compositions. Just think, Bach wrote these to help someone fall asleep! SheeZ!!!

Jonny :-)
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Piéchaud
    Hi,

This is the well known aria from Bach’s Goldberg Variations, using the wonderful GPO harpsichord and Human Playback.

Click HERE for the MP3 file.

Click HERE for the notation PDF.

Here is my setup:

- Finale 2005a
    - It starts with plein-jeu (8’+4’) and then changes to 8’ for the repeat of first section, and back to plein-jeu for second section (using well-behave keyswitch expressions)
    - Human Playback with style Baroque; Trill Speed (HP prefs) has been slightly decreased (to 12 n/sec)
    - No MIDI tweaking at all: just right from the notation with HP.
    - Following rigorously the Urtext Edition (Baerenreiter Verlag), using the November font (a font of mine which includes all Bach ornaments – and HP compatible!)

Enjoy!

Robert
    Very impressive! Any possibility of making those ornaments available as part of a future Finale edition? (or separately, for that matter)

The ornaments are very impressive

The whole performance sounds very relaxed - I wouldn't have guesses it wasn't played!
    As in music - so in life!

Thanks all for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Koenig
    Very impressive! Any possibility of making those ornaments available as part of a future Finale edition? (or separately, for that matter)
    Some ornaments are in Finale already (Maestro font), some are missing.
    If you are interested by my "November" font, you might click HERE or HERE for more info.

November supports all (well I believe) known Baroque ornaments, all being compatible with Human Playback.

Robert

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast