• Register
  • Help

Topic: Windows XP SP2 Ok for Audio Users?

Share/Bookmark

Windows XP SP2 Ok for Audio Users?

Just about to build a new system and wanted to know whether to use XP SP1 or 2, for a fresh install.

Thanks

Re: Windows XP SP2 Ok for Audio Users?

SP 2 working fine here on my one rig running ProTools and Kontakt.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Works great for me:

Cubase SX 2
    Wavelab 4
    Halion 2
    Giga 3
    EQLSO Gold (Kompakt)

Apparently the focus of SP2 has been to tighten up network security.

Unless you feel a specific need to install SP2, it might be better to just get the individual critical updates/security patches instead.

Other than that, its not going to give you any great advantage. (that I've heard of)
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Had a HORRIBLE experience with XP SP2--NONE of my music software worked.

There are issues with firewire and SP2. My MOTO 828mkii wouldn't work at all with it.

I uninstalled and am fine again.

Jerry

Talking Re: Windows XP SP2 Ok for Audio Users?

I'm still affraid on installing the SP2 on my DAW partition....so i don't do it.
    I don't care about SP2 at all since i don't use net connection on my DAW windows XP parition.

Not to be critical of the anti-M$ folks, but Microsoft (as much as I dislike them) has done a very good job with its patches. Some software, like Sonar, will cause the security system to ask you if you would like to block this program - but all you do is add it to the exceptions list the first time and that is all. There should be no hesitations with SP2. The only problems in the beginning were the first IT SP2 patch you could download could hang during install and you would have to reboot midway. XP would think it was SP2, but only had part of it. All you do is uninstall SP2 and reinstall. The auto update seemingly has no problems with installation - and is far less in size. I really don't feel their is any need to worry about harm from the Microsoft patches (SP2 included). The SMARTEST thing is to install them. They will only help your performance.

***If you download a lot from filesharing networks, torrents, etc, you need to download a registry fix that will allow you up to 50 connections at once. As a security, Microsoft bumped the number down to 10. Even with 50 (far less than pre-SP2, I don't notice any hickups in downloading).
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by JerryPettit
    Had a HORRIBLE experience with XP SP2--NONE of my music software worked.

There are issues with firewire and SP2. My MOTO 828mkii wouldn't work at all with it.

I uninstalled and am fine again.
    Same thing here with a MOTU 828 (MKI).

Go Back to forum