• Register
  • Help

Topic: GIGA or KONTAKT?

Share/Bookmark

GIGA or KONTAKT?

I need to buy some drums and bass (upright and electric) I could care less about Hip Hop stuff. I just want natural awesome sounding drums with separate assignable outputs. If I buy Battery 2 from NI, it comes with it's own player. However, if I find a library of some basses or even drums that are Giga format, am I correct that I can buy the full version of Kontakt and use that to properly play the Giga sample libraries? (properly) key word

I just don't know what to do, is Giga really as unreliable as I've heard?

My thought was to buy the upgrade (I already own GPO) Kontakt player (full version) for $249.00 from NI and use that to play libraries that I will purchase instead of Giga. Or, should I just buy Giga?

Do you folks have drums and bass, and if so, what are they?

Sorry for so many questions,
    DPDAN

Re: GIGA or KONTAKT?

DPDAN,
    Well I might have info that may or may hot help you. Currently, I own NI BAttery I. I have to say I have been very impressed since I owned it. I have also taken the samples, used Chicken Sys, and translated it for Giga.
    AS you and I both know, it's wonderful to keep everything in one system like DP. Battery sounds pretty good for it's age and has a fair variety. The only drag is that it's a memory hog and really puts a hurtin on my old 2001 Mac G4.
    So if you did get Battery, I think it can translate in Giga and I'd assume Kontakt. If I had to choose, I'd Probably get Kontakt. I;m going to do the GOLD Group buy shortly, and not that I won't get anything else for Giga, I just think there's more hip/current stuff for Kotakt right now. I don't know. Maybe if Giga 3 had come out sooner. . .

Sincerley,

Jonathan

PS Thanks for your DP advice, I'm probably going to cross grade from Logic in few months.

Just FYI. I would go to the NI site - http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?forum_us & see how Battery 2 is fairing, From what I read, it's not very well.

I've had good success tranlsating Giga filkes directly into Kontakt using Kontakts batch conversion.

RickyB

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky B
    Just FYI. I would go to the NI site - http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?forum_us & see how Battery 2 is fairing, From what I read, it's not very well.

I've had good success tranlsating Giga filkes directly into Kontakt using Kontakts batch conversion.

RickyB
    thanks you guys, I appreciate the input
    DPDAN

I can't speak to Giga, as I don't have it. A lot of people who do use it have it on a seperate computer. I have used Kontakt for some time. Initial releases of the instrument are usually a little buggy (or perhaps they aren't bugs but NI "features"!!) But they get corrected. I use a number of different libraries in Kontakt, the EWQLSO Orchestral Libs, converted Akai Libs, Converted Roland Libs and some converted Emu Libs (I used Rubber Chicken Translator to do mass translations as I had a lot of sample CDs, some going back 10 years or so.) They usually play well and the occasional glitch is easily fixed. I know a lot of libraries are being written for Kontakt and it does a good job (from what I hear) of translating Giga stuff. Obviously, I am reading this message on the Kontakt board.... so that tells you something about my bias. For my two cents, I have no complaints (well okay, the included library is pretty bad!!)

Take Care
    Never wrestle in the mud with a pig.
    You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

Go Back to forum