• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best File Locations

Share/Bookmark

Best File Locations

Hi there,

I have a g4 powerbook 1Ghz, 1Gb, 80Gb internal hard drive, an MBox (PT LE) and an external 200gb glyph firewire drive. I'd like to know: given the two drives, where are the best places to store the GPO application files, the library files, and the actual song files (created by Sibelius, ProTools) etc. I know that file location does affect the overall performance of the system.

Thank you.

Regards
    dgp.

Re: Best File Locations

Unless you're strapped for space, I would recommend installing on the internal drive to keep from complicating upgrade procedures and the like.

Thank you Joseph.

I have three hard drives on my system, one for system files one for audio recording and one for samples. Originally I installed my GPO samples on my sample drive, but GPO had a fit and went looking trough all three drives when it loaded - taking around half an hour to load one Cubase project. I then installed GPO samples on my system drive and it sorted the problem.
    After this there was an update, but I was too scared to alter things... was it fixed?

Tom?

Zero

Zero,

I'm not really the guy to be answering Mac questions but I suspect that the safest arrangement is to place the entire installation on the system drive. The player should never have difficulties locating samples with this arrangement. Is the player better at handling alternate drive installations after the update? NI would be the best people to answer this but Christmas vacations are kicking in over there so I think answers to such questions are going to be a bit scarce for the next couple of weeks. You may want to ask again right after the first of the year. Perhaps some Mac users that installed the update could offer some opinions based on their experience.

Tom

P.S. Zero, I assumed this was a Mac question because it is in a thread about a Mac computer. Even if it concerns a PC the answer still should come from NI. My systems are all installations on the C: drive and I always recommend that to avoid problems.

Thanks for the reply Tom,

I use a PC., not a Mac, but I guess the reply applies both ways anyway.
    What I have learnt from your post is that this is a Kontakt Issue rather than a GPO issue.

have a good Xmas

Zero

I now it's been a while since you posted but I just read it and thought this might help. Since GPO loads it's sounds into RAM instead of streaming from the disk, I would say the best place is on your system drive. That's where GPO is expecting to find them.

Thanks 3479,
    This seems to make sense to me, because if everything is in RAM it means that the hard disk won't get any interrupt requests when recording Audio. Unless someone suggests otherwise I suppose the matter's settled........... - except perhaps when using X custom disk streaming??? (which I am not presently using)

Thanks

Zero

As a note: When using the Record to File function, make sure to save to your fastest (RPM) hard drive. Probably the Firewire one. Drive speed is very important to avoid skips in the audio.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum