• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tag Data (probably ot?)

Share/Bookmark

Tag Data (probably ot?)

I seem to have forgotten how or lost a function to edit tag data on WAV files. Before my recent crash and recovery, I was able to add tag data to individual wav or mp3 files, now I can't find a way. It may be that in rebuilding my operating system, I loaded a diffrerent version of Windows Media Player, currently 9.0. Maybe there is another way, but I could not find it using GPO Studio record function ( a neat, simple, effective little function) or WMP. I had hopes of getting tags added to 14 wav files before bed time tonight. Any advice much appreciated.

Richard
    aka The Perplexed Hermit of the Redwoods

Re: Tag Data (probably ot?)

Right click on the .wav or mp3 file, properties, summaries tab, then click the advanced button.

Double click the line you want to enter and type away.

Unhappy Re: Tag Data (probably ot?)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Right click on the .wav or mp3 file, properties, summaries tab, then click the advanced button.

Double click the line you want to enter and type away.

Almost right. I works for all files that I have tested except wav. Don't know about mp3, don't have any just now.

With .wav, no cursor.

If I remove the .wav extension, I can enter all that I want. But as soon as the extension is restored, the summary data vanishes. I checked with some older wav files that were made using Sonar export audio, and the problem is the same, so I can't blame it on the bossa nova -- GPO record, that is.

This is the thing about computers that is the most frustrating to me. Something suddenly ceases to work as normal, and I spend enormous amounts of time trying to restore the function. Earlier today, my speaker settings managed to change, and I had only two speakers instead of four. (that was a quick fix)

Any fresh ideas? I need a break. Going back to my nice Balwin Grand that I tuned this afternoon.

Richard

You're right, it doesn't work with .wav files, only mp3's. Sorry.

I didn't know WAV files could carry that kind of data!! I just opened a WAV in Sound Forge 6.0 and found I could edit the tag data. Do you have an audio editor program?? That may be your solution...

I know you can edit them with the free Musicmatch Jukebox . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Lightbulb Re: Tag Data (probably ot?)

I use Screenblast Sound Forge Deluxe (because it came with the Sony computer that I use as a "utility" system) and I drag the raw WAV file from the music system to this one and do all trimming and editing here, including deriving MP3 and WMA files. I can set the tags in the master WAV file ("Title", "Copyright", "Comments" and "Artist" are the four that I *always* set) and then those are propogated to all files which are derived from the "master". Most convenient.

I'm not sure if Screenblast Sound Forge Deluxe is sold separately. Unfortunately, it's one of those programs that makes me slightly nervous about QUALITY as it prides itself on how quickly it can produce and MP3 or WMA file; however, I have no real reason to suspect that is does anything harmful with the WAV files which are the ultimate ones anyway (and all others are temporary derivatives).

i hope this helps ... KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    Unfortunately, it's one of those programs that makes me slightly nervous about QUALITY as it prides itself on how quickly it can produce and MP3 or WMA file; however, I have no real reason to suspect that is does anything harmful with the WAV files which are the ultimate ones anyway (and all others are temporary derivatives).
    Sound Forge has traditionally had an excellent MP3 decoder back when it was a Sonic Foundry product and I don't know why it would be any different now that it's SONY. Anyway, you're right, it doesn't do anything at all to WAVs.

Richard, I hear you about the grand piano in the living room. It doesn't plug in, or loose it's memory. I too tune pianos, and they seem to have an ability to get ugly sounding if you don't stay on the tuning thing,
    DPDAN

Go Back to forum