• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pretty new to VSTs.. need some help

Share/Bookmark

Pretty new to VSTs.. need some help

I've stuck to Giga samples all this time. I just downloaded the Crystal synth and have a question. What if I want two different patches playing? Do I need to have a 2nd pair of tracks (one for the MIDI, one for the synth)? Is there some way to create channels in the synth and then just have multiple MIDI tracks with channel #'s, so I don't have to create a bunch of instances of the Crystal synth?

Also, I notice a delay when I hit the key.. the VST doesn't react immediately. But when I record myself playing, then I play it back, as soon as it sends the MIDI note, it plays. Odd..
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Pretty new to VSTs.. need some help

Hi Sam, many VST's are not multi-timbral. I downloaded Crystal a while ago but never got around to installing it. If its anything like Atmosphere, A1, etc, you will need to load a new instance for each sound that you want.

Not sure about the latency when you hit a note, but your sequencer is probably initiating some sort of plugin delay compensation upon playback.

HTH,

Scott.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Not sure about the latency when you hit a note, but your sequencer is probably initiating some sort of plugin delay compensation upon playback.
    Hmm... care to translate that for me? What does this mean? How do I troubleshoot it? I'm using Sonar.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Well Cubase has PDC, Im pretty sure most major sequencers have an equivalent now. It just means that if a plugin or effect has latency, the sequencer will allow for that when u hit play. It might hold for a split second until the slowest plug is ready and then play it all together in sync.

As I say, I didnt get round to installing Crystal, being a freebie, it might have some quirks that make it hard to play in realtime.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Like almost all virtual instruments, Crystal has no latency. Your audio interface however, does have latency. Check your audio interface documentation for information about tuning your latency to reduce it to a comfortable level.

Scott, do yourself a favor and install that Crystal you downloaded :-).

- Glenn

Latency? In Sonar or in the M-Audio control panel? I'm afraid even a manual won't help me, I've already checked out the very scarce documentation for my sound card... 80% of it doesn't even make sense to me. I'm pretty technical when it comes to programming software & dealing w/ some hardware stuff, but audio hardware..forget it. The way I have my latency set in Sonar and in the M-Audio control panel works perfectly w/ my samples.. if I change it too much, I get skipping/popping.

Latency in Sonar is set to 96msec. Latency in the M-Audio panel is set to 256 samples (whatever that means). I hit a key, and a very brief moment later, the sound is produced...very slight delay. This occurs with all VSTs.

Specifically which settings should I adjust and to what value?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Sam,

You need to set the latency in Sonar to 10ms or less in order to play a softsynth and not hear the latency. You may have to set the latency in the M-Audio panel lower as well in order to be able to accomplish that in Sonar.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO
    Scott, do yourself a favor and install that Crystal you downloaded :-)
    I second that!

Sam - 10ms is the latency for example you'd incur with a 512 samples buffer at 48K (it's very easy to calculate, just divide the sample rate by the buffer size in samples and you obtain the latency is seconds).

this means that a setting of 512 is pretty much all that is required for most vst where the attack is typically slow-ish. a value of 256 however may be more appropriate for rhythmic material, guitars and lead sounds (depending on your project sample rate).

I don't know much about Sonar but normally hosts overwrite the audio interface settings specified in control panels externally. Typically you specify this value in the ASIO control panel from within the application.

Go Back to forum