• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: RMX expanders vs. Converting the original Groove control lib versions?

Share/Bookmark

RMX expanders vs. Converting the original Groove control lib versions?

I own all of the RMX expansion modules in their previous life as akai libs.
    Are there any reasons that I should consider buying the expander versions over just importing the groove control versions I already own?

Any functionality that is only to be found in the expansion versions?
    Would I be missing something by not getting the expanders and just using the imported groove control sets?

Is Spectrasonics going to come up with an upgrade/sidegrade for RMX owners who long ago purchased Liquid Grooves - Back Beat - Retro Funk etc?

Thanks!

Re: RMX expanders vs. Converting the original Groove control lib versions?

Quote Originally Posted by ed hamilton
    I own all of the RMX expansion modules in their previous life as akai libs.
    Not completely possible, since there has never been a Groove Control version of Burning Grooves before, so this is actually a new one.

Are there any reasons that I should consider buying the expander versions over just importing the groove control versions I already own?

Any functionality that is only to be found in the expansion versions?
    Would I be missing something by not getting the expanders and just using the imported groove control sets?
    Yes, there are special Multi patches for each Expander that are quite cool and also a special Bonus library that is included.

However, you can convert your existing Groove Control CD-ROM versions and have the majority of the functionality. But you should redo the conversions with the new 1.1 version of the SAGE Converter utility we will be releasing on the updates page on Monday.

We will be posting the special Multi patches for each Xpander that previous Akai customers can download, if they do the conversions with version 1.1 of the converter app.

But you should get at least one of the Xpanders to get access to the special Bonus section library, which includes some special stuff that has never been released before. The Bonus section is the same on all the Xpanders, so it would be a good idea to get at least one Xpander for full compatibility with the Multis....and Burning Grooves would be the obvious choice, since the GC aspect is something totally new for that library and it doesn't work with the Converter app.

Is Spectrasonics going to come up with an upgrade/sidegrade for RMX owners who long ago purchased Liquid Grooves - Back Beat - Retro Funk etc?

Thanks!
    Not necessary, since you can already use the library you purchased. In the case of Burning Grooves, the Xpander is the same price as the upgrade price from non-GC to GC versions ($99)....so it works out to be fair to everyone...original customers and new ones too.

:-)

spectrum

thx for the info, spectrum!

I am going to order Burning grooves,... ;-)!

cheers, imusic

Thanks Spectrum.

I do own burnin grooves also but its the one I use the least.

Could you speak to the specific functional shortcomings of importing a GC lib vs the expanders.?
    You mention getting "most" of the functionality. What is better about the expanders?

Thanks again for the info.!

Thanks Spectrum.

I do own burning grooves also but its the one I use the least.
    Of course!.....because it's not Groove Controlled. ;-)

It's much, much more useful in RMX.

Could you speak to the specific functional shortcomings of importing a GC lib vs the expanders.?
    You mention getting "most" of the functionality. What is better about the expanders?
    The Xpanders have a NEW Bonus library that you can't get anywhere else. It includes a bunch of special things, including most of the loops from the Distorted Reality series in Groove Control, all of the loops from Vocal Planet, Bizarre Guitar and also some special promotion loops that you don't have.

Each Xpander also has a section of very cool Multi patches that take great advantage of the core library, the Xpander library AND the Bonus library....these are very interesting and really show you what's possible using everything together.

These special Multi patches for each Xpander rely on the new Bonus library, so although you will be able to download the Multi patches, they won't fully work unless you have at least one of the Xpanders with the Bonus library installed.

By getting the Burning Grooves SAGE Xpander, you'll have access to everything and your entire Spectrasonics collection will be current, complete and fully modernized.

...not a bad deal for $99 ;-)

spectrum

Thanks again for explaining it.

That answered the lingering impression that liquid grooves GC imported may not be as good as liquid grooves expander or that the conversions would leave something to be desired.

Burning grooves expander is my next purchase!

I know its been said many times over but it deserves another mention -
    out of all the libs I own (god knows its too many) I have yet to be disappointed in a spectrasonics title.
    They have been the integral to my work for years now and my core drum/perc library is all culled from spectrasonics titles.

RMX is just off the hook and the fact that you support it with all your previous titles should become the model for all VSTI makers in the future.

Every dollar invested in your libs was a great purchase THEN and are even more usable NOW.

This is incredibly rare in music gear period. Insanely rare in sample libs.

Can't wait to see what you guys have in store for us at NAMM.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum

...not a bad deal for $99 ;-)

spectrum
    Yes, but where are they? I'm getting desperate, having had RMX for a few weeks now...:>(

Daryl

This week Liquid Grooves, Backbeat and Retro Funk SAGE Xpanders are shipping!

Next week Metamorphosis SAGE Xpander will be shipping.

Burning Grooves Xpander by NAMM, if not sooner.

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    This week Liquid Grooves, Backbeat and Retro Funk SAGE Xpanders are shipping!

Next week Metamorphosis SAGE Xpander will be shipping.

Burning Grooves Xpander by NAMM, if not sooner.

spectrum
    Hurrah, hurrah...

Daryl

Eric,

Love RMX, thanks.

2 questions:

1. I have converted BB (from Akai disks) with the 1.0 converter. How should I handle using 1.1 (dump the old files and just start again?)

2. Of course I have all the RMX libraries (old and new) and Backbeat, which of your other SAGE libraries would compliment what I have the most (sorry, this month I only have a budget for one of the SAGE libraries.) Thanks for your advice.

note: I would use it mostly for multimedia.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum