• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I buy GS3 and I'cant even open it!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down I buy GS3 and I'cant even open it!

I buy GS3.01 , installed it and for a week I'cant even open it without crashing Windows XP. Incompatibiliy with another software installed? Protection problem?
    I have several programs installed, Cubase VST+SX2, every drivers are recent (Waveterminal L). Both cubase and GS2.5 were running fine on this PC. I erase all plugins to be sure they are'nt responsible...how can I find the culprit? Any idea? Any similar experience?
    JLF

Re: I buy GS3 and I'cant even open it!

Have you disabled Hyperthreading in the bios?

If you have a pentuim processor you have to disable hyperthread, if you don't there's no such thing. (not with AMD processors)

Possibly problems...

Problem 1: Your CPU is too hot, I was told if it's over 60 degrees it's too much. (can be a problem, doesn't have to be)

Problem 2: Your RAM is acting up and forcing the computer to shut itself off (corrsair RAM is used by many and has rarely caused any issues)

Problem 3: Your Power supply is not good enough (if you have a lot of pci slots filled up this could be a problem)

Problem4: You have a soundcard with a GSIF 1 driver and need therefore a card with GSIF2 (I think)

This problem is also bugging me....I don't know if this is because I have GSIF 1 driver...But it has to be it. I think some folks talked about the problem getting solved when they got GSIF 2.

I'm sick of this, I'm getting myself an M-audio card tomorrow which has GSIF 2 driver.

Do you have GSIF1 or GSIF2 driver for your soundcard?

Angry Re: I buy GS3 and I'cant even open it!

Well, I have an M-audio card (Delta 1010) with GSIF2 drivers and it's still happening to me too. I had it installed on a P4 2.4GHz with an M-audio audiophile card and it kept crashing that computer. It just kept rebooting over and over. So I uninstalled it and installed it on a different computer. An AMD 2600+ (both have 1GB RAM) and a Delta 1010. I have the exact same experience you mentioned. I can install it, but I had to run msconfig (Start/Run/msconfig) and disable all the startup stuff, then reboot. Then when the system boots up, I can install GS3.

Maybe that will help you? I have a doc from the old Giga stuff that explains how to do a "clean" installation. I even tried that (it only mentions the old files) and it didn't work.

Have you tried running it in diagnostic mode? Usually when mine doesn't run in regular mode, diag mode will work. In GS3 you can disable the hardware, the database or the external VSTs.
    Try:
    Start/All Programs/Tascam/GigaStudio3/GigaStudio3 Configuration Manager

And disable some stuff and see if that helps. If not, take a hammer and pound the living $#!^ out of the DVDs and send them back to Ta Scam and tell them they were damaged in shipping. That's going to be my next step.

Ta Scam has THE worst Support system I've ever seen. Even worse than Steinberg US and that's saying a lot.

Can you guys save your GS performance?

If I have less than 3 intruments loaded I can save, but it doesn't save anything, when I open the project again it's just a non saved gsp.

And if it's over 3 intruments the computer reboots at the instance I click "save".

Do you have this problem?

And I get a ew.sys error.

I'm going back from 3.03 to a clean install without any updates. Maybe that works.
    Do you use 3.03?

I've tried both the original installation and the updates. Neither one will work for me. As for the save thing, I can't even run GS3. When I start the app it crashes every time. Unless I run in diag mode.

I have turned on logging, although I haven't figured out where the logs are. Or if they get generated anywhere. Does anyone know where they are? I guess I should try the Giga directory and see if they're there. This is getting to be a real pain in the butt.

Are you sure the program has processed all of your VSTs?

Bruce R. mentioned a while back that GS3 will crash if it encounters a VST it doesn't like. Since I have a lot of VSTs, I had to go through about 10 crashes before it finally made its way through all of my VSTs (it "excludes" ones it doesn't like).

A quick test of this would be to:
    - Start, All Programs, Tascam GigaStudio 3, GigaStudio System Settings
    - Rewire/Plugins tab
    - click on "Configure plugins" button

If GS3 displays a window with your plugins, you have processed all of them. If not, just keep relaunching GS3 until you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Have you disabled Hyperthreading in the bios?
    Was it this?

Quote Originally Posted by bamim2
    Well, I have an M-audio card (Delta 1010) with GSIF2 drivers and it's still happening to me too. I had it installed on a P4 2.4GHz with an M-audio audiophile card and it kept crashing that computer. It just kept rebooting over and over. So I uninstalled it and installed it on a different computer. An AMD 2600+ (both have 1GB RAM) and a Delta 1010. I have the exact same experience you mentioned. I can install it, but I had to run msconfig (Start/Run/msconfig) and disable all the startup stuff, then reboot. Then when the system boots up, I can install GS3.

Good idea!
    Anyway what I know already is that it's an incompatibility of GS3 protection system (which crash windows) with some of my other software in my PC.

Ta Scam has THE worst Support system I've ever seen. Even worse than Steinberg US and that's saying a lot.
    that's unfortunetly right, above all if you are not american.

Txs all for your encouragements!
    What I already know and can say:
    There is an incompatibility of GS3 protection system (which crash windows when I run it) with some of my other software in my PC.

You said Tascam has THE worst Support system you 've ever seen. Even worse than Steinberg US and that's saying a lot.
    That's unfortunetly right, above all if you are not american! That was not true for Nemesys which has a good support, formerly.

Go Back to forum