• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Update - Strings sound odd

Share/Bookmark

GPO Update - Strings sound odd

I've finally updated GPO, looking forward to using the Full Strings for some mock-ups I'm doing. The higher register sounds strange, like too much vibrato or something - it sounds "warbly". This prompted me to try the Violin patches and they sound the same. I don't recall that the earlier version sounded like this. I've tried it both in the GPO Kontakt and the full version of Kontakt and they sound the same.
    Is there something I should/can do to correct this? I am in need of a smooth legato sound that I had before the upgrade, with KSwitching.
    Thanks
    Logic 9 | OSX Snow Leopard | 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 4g ram |Dual Cinema Displays | MBox 2 | MOTU 2408, MTP AV | AlphaTrack | BlueSky 2.1 |

Re: GPO Update - Strings sound odd

RobbinsEgg,

As has been described in several threads recently you can always revert to the older files if you wish. They are available in the backup folder. There have been discussions of the strings in threads like http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...t=26032&page=1 This particular thread also contains links to Vlns 1 keyswitch patches that I programmed for Craig. You may wish to use them.

As to the somewhat different subject of vibrato intensity: Nothing has changed. Same samples, same amount of vibrato. That's not one of the things I could have changed even if I had wanted to - it's built into the original samples. As discussed in the other threads, the primary changes have to do with attack speeds. Would this affect your perception of vibrato intensity? It would seem unlikely, but who knows?

Here's a copy of what I posted on another thread concerning the Backup folder:

The installation routine has been designed to keep all older versions of the instruments in a backup folder so long as you said “yes” to the backup question during install. If you find that you prefer the older version of any instrument you can get it back as an additional choice in the player. Here’s what to do:

1. Go to the drive location of your GPO installation and open the “GPO Library” folder. For most people this will be the path: Program Files/Garritan Personal Orchestra/GPO Library.

2. In the GPO Library folder you will find a folder named “Backup GPO Library.” This folder contains all of the older instrument files.

3. Search the Backup folder to find the instrument you wish to restore and re-name both the instrument and its matching .txt file to differentiate them from the new instrument. e.g. “1st Vlns Sus+Short.nki” could be changed to “1st Vlns Sus+Short Old.nki” and “1st Vlns Sus+Short.txt” changed to “1st Vlns Sus+Short Old.txt.” The instrument and text file names must match.

4. Copy the newly named instrument and text files to the corresponding folder of the main library.

The entire backup folder could likewise be renamed and moved to give access to all older instruments if you like.

Tom

Re: GPO Update - Strings sound odd

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    RobbinsEgg,

As to the somewhat different subject of vibrato intensity: Nothing has changed. Same samples, same amount of vibrato. That's not one of the things I could have changed even if I had wanted to - it's built into the original samples. As discussed in the other threads, the primary changes have to do with attack speeds. Would this affect your perception of vibrato intensity? It would seem unlikely, but who knows?

Tom
    My 2 cents. I too find the new KS package S&S sound inferior. I would call it a tremolo -- I first noticed it when I wanted to add 2nd violins (radical!)

I was so use to doing that (pre-Garritan -- PG) that when I was listening to my final version I suddenly noticed a big sonic hole in my mix (true panning - radical!). So my 2nd violins were new but the rest of the strings were old -- try it -it's there (tremolo I mean). So I switched all to new (grief!). Aside from a suspicious trem the strings became more 'metallic' -- it came out esp. when voiced with brass -- so that you can't really here the body of the string notes but you hear the attack. Kind of like the top end of a bad reverb reflection.
    Anyways all is old again (more grief! - but fat and happy now).

My speculation. The samples themselves are from a player's conception of what a scale should sound like. i.e. if a player is thinking a Bruckner C major scale it will be very different from a Stravinsky C major scale. So, if Tom just changed the attack on a previously conceived sample ---I am imagining that the original samples were taken by the person who made the (digital) instrument we (old samples I mean ) are now using -- the problems begin perhaps.

I too found the original samples slow on attack -- I put this down to a conservative formal imagining (a reasonable choice) of what an orchestra should sound like. Being in FINMAC I just add a FF velocity to p modulation. Placebo or no it worked for me.

jerry

Go Back to forum