• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaPulse mic replacement

Share/Bookmark

GigaPulse mic replacement

If it is possible to use inverse convolution to remove the characteristics of a certain mic, would it be possible to use this section of GigaPulse to also remove the characteristic of a room? For instance, if I sampled a gunshot (or equivalent) in my recording space, and imported it into this section of GigaPulse, would it (in theory) remove both the mic and room characteristics from audio recorded in this space with this mic?
    If so, does anyone have suggestions to record such a sample? Would the source sound (gunshot, or whatever) be taken at the same perspective as, say, the vocals I might record ie. a few inches away from the mic? This might be too close for a gunshot, so what is a good alternative sound?

I look forward to any thoughts or suggestions.

Re: GigaPulse mic replacement

Quote Originally Posted by scott cameron
    If it is possible to use inverse convolution to remove the characteristics of a certain mic, would it be possible to use this section of GigaPulse to also remove the characteristic of a room? For instance, if I sampled a gunshot (or equivalent) in my recording space, and imported it into this section of GigaPulse, would it (in theory) remove both the mic and room characteristics from audio recorded in this space with this mic?
    If so, does anyone have suggestions to record such a sample? Would the source sound (gunshot, or whatever) be taken at the same perspective as, say, the vocals I might record ie. a few inches away from the mic? This might be too close for a gunshot, so what is a good alternative sound?

I look forward to any thoughts or suggestions.
    Scott,

What you are suggesting would work in theory, but only if the impulse was recorded in exactly the same place as the original source mic.

In other words, you would have to place the mics for the room exactly where there were originally placed in the room in the recording you are trying to remove the room sound from.

A gunshot is not a perfect spike BTW... In fact, it is a very sloppy and non-predictable spike.

Since you are wanting to reverse out the sound of the room, your spike needs to be predictable and identical. A gunshot is neither of these... Although the sound may 'seem' like it is identical, record a few gunshots and look at the first few samples in a wave editor and you will see that it is very sloppy and does not repeat predicably.

A better way to record rooms is to use the sweep tone method... then reverse convolve it in software later.

Best to you!

Larry Seyer
    http://www.larryseyer.com
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Larry Seyer's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Re: GigaPulse mic replacement

Thanks for the advice, Larry. Sounds like it might be time to experiment. In truth, I know it's best to make the room sound okay (appropriate) in the first place and to have good mic'ing selection and placement for the recording, without resorting to post-fixes. I am curious though, at possible applications of GigaPulse apart from reverb (mind you, I am pretty happy with the reverb sound of this software so far).

Go Back to forum