• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Music in your dreams?

Share/Bookmark

Music in your dreams?

Anybody else ever have music in their dreams? Over the past few years I am suddenly experiencing the sound of music in my dreams . . . which is pretty wierd, I think. Also when I'm in that trance-like alpha state, I can sometimes hear the very definite sound of music . . . like a sound hallucination . . . if only I could get my music to sound as good with GPO as it does in my head . . .

Does this kind of stuff happen to anybody else?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Music in your dreams?

Okay, I'll let ya in on the weirdness of me.

For about the last 2 years I have had a recurring dream (somewhat of a nightmare) where EITHER I'm actually performing live in a really cool auditorium that we have at the place where I work (and I grew up giving piano recitals with other little boys and girls in this same auditorium which makes it doubly weird) and for some reason nobody has moved the Baldwin 8' grand piano out to the front of the stage, but instead, it's tucked WAAAY back at the back of the stage where I can barely see the audience and I can't talk to them and I keep trying to move it out to the front of the stage and I can never get it out there...

-or-

I have a live concert that day (in my dream) and I CANNOT GET TO THE CONCERT HALL TO SAVE MY EVER LOVING LIFE....it's like the dream where you're running and you can't get anywhere. I keep driving and driving and getting caught in traffic or at the store or ANYTHING but the concert hall.

I must say, after I started gigging somewhat this last several months (and it's been quite fun), I haven't had those dreams, but man, it was like someone was telling me something.

And that, is my brain. THIS, is my brain on GPO:
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com <-- Public site
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

All the time. It always ends up one of three things:

When I wake up its forgotten. These are, of course, masterpieces.

When I wake up and have a chance to really think about it I realize it's terrible.

If it's not terrible its because it's really something someone else wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. Selby
    -or-

I have a live concert that day (in my dream) and I CANNOT GET TO THE CONCERT HALL TO SAVE MY EVER LOVING LIFE....it's like the dream where you're running and you can't get anywhere. I keep driving and driving and getting caught in traffic or at the store or ANYTHING but the concert hall.
    OH!! YOU TOO!! i hate that dream.

(I also had the dream when I was younger where I went to a Yes concert and Rick Wakeman got sick so they ask me to sit in - that's like the flying dream)

Ah, that's good hear . . . I'm not crazy or anything . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Anybody else ever have music in their dreams? Over the past few years I am suddenly experiencing the sound of music in my dreams . . . which is pretty wierd, I think. Also when I'm in that trance-like alpha state, I can sometimes hear the very definite sound of music . . . like a sound hallucination . . . if only I could get my music to sound as good with GPO as it does in my head . . .

Does this kind of stuff happen to anybody else?
    Yes, it has happened to me. There is a great deal of information on lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is being able to know you are dreaming in the dream state. It is a fascinating topic.

A few years back, during a lunch with harpist Andreas Vollenweider the topic of dreaming and composition came up. He said that he kept pencil and paper near his bed and he would jot down musical ideas from his dreams. This approach seems to have worked well as he won a Grammy.

Sweet musical dreams.

Gary Garritan

Go watch Waking Life. Best 'dream' themed indie film I've seen.

Also Vanilla Sky is great too!

And BTW, I don't dream....

Because I don't SLEEP!

Lucid dreams . . . those things are quite wierd. The first time I had one, I got so excited that I woke up! They're hard to get, but with self-training they supposed to be easy to achieve.

There are devises (that are expensive) that you can wear over your eyes when you go to sleep. The device detects rapid eye movement (the common sign that you are in the dreaming phase of sleep) and a faint red light flashes. Supposedly it flashes with just the right amount of intensity that it won't wake you up but you'll be able to detect it in your dream, and after a few nights, you'll be able to realize your dreaming when you are. When that happens, things get exciting. I can't afford one of those, but there are other methods, if you do a Google search.

I've had only two lucid dreams (discluding the first one that made me wake up). In both, I decided to fly! Weeee! Another thing you can do is give yourself and extra set of arms or something . . . and you'll actually be able to feel it. It's quite exciting, but the whole time it's hard to believe that your mind is making it all up . . . the brain is powerful if you can get it in the right state . . . if you can get those neurons firing the right way, you can do anything through hallucinations and dreams!

Of course, you might hurt yourself with those hallucinations . . .

I'd love to be able to write down melodies at will, but unfortunately, since I'm so darn inexperienced, I need a keyboard to make sure I'm right . . . currently I use my cell phone's voice memo to remember melodies that pop into my head, but I don't always have my phone, so some melodies are simply lost forever, into the abyss . . . especially the ones from dreams
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. Selby
    I've been gigging for years, and I still have a variation of that dream: I actually make it to the concert about 3 minutes before it begins, only to find that none of my gear is hooked up -- no power to the synths, can't find an outlet, patch cords are missing, guitar is still in the case. Concert starts and I am completely unprepared. Very frustrating.

But I hear music all the time in my dreams. They tend to be pretty cinematic -- big orchestral track at times, vivid colors, awesome special effects. Sometimes the tunes stick with me when I wake up, but usually not.

Jim

Go Back to forum