• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone using a WX5 with GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Question Anyone using a WX5 with GPO?

I tried searching the forum for this, but the search feature rejects "WX5" as being too short.

Does anyone use a Yamaha WX5 with GPO? If so, how well does it work?
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Re: Anyone using a WX5 with GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    Does anyone use a Yamaha WX5 with GPO? If so, how well does it work?
    Works pretty neat for me, especially with the new X-Custom patches -- but I'm just a noodler and not really much of a wind player. For the occasion, here's a hastily done clip of one of the GPO french horns blown with a WX5 (apologies to all you horn players):

http://www.stanford.edu/~gmsmith/mp3/ganzen2.mp3

Greg

I use an Akai EWI and I can get it to work ok using Mod Wheel CC instead of Breath Control.

I downloaded the Control-X update but can't figure out how to implement it??
    I copied the folders to the Library at the same level as Dry Wet etc.

I cannot get volume changes using breath control.

I'd appreciate help from anyone who could help with this.

Thanks,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Oksi Moron
    Works pretty neat for me, especially with the new X-Custom patches -- but I'm just a noodler and not really much of a wind player. For the occasion, here's a hastily done clip of one of the GPO french horns blown with a WX5 (apologies to all you horn players):
    Neat! That sounds great! It seems like it must be a lot more natural than riding the mod wheel to control dynamics.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    Neat! That sounds great! It seems like it must be a lot more natural than riding the mod wheel to control dynamics.
    Maybe, but I'm in favor of no-holds-barred: riding the mod wheel, drawing envelopes with a mouse or a graphics tablet -- sometimes even using canned envelopes from Ntonyx.

Anyhow, I don't think anyone who already has a WX5 would regret buying GPO.

Thanks for the positive response, Jeff. Looks to me, from your web page, as if you love early music at least as much as I do.

Dan, could it be that you haven't yet tried dropping down the "velocity" menu and choosing a different controller, and then setting the slider over to the right? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

Greg

As primarily a sax player who is learning GPO, Im really interested in this. I have seen the thing, but am not sure about its mouthpiece - does it really give you real expression? I understand there are two - one for non reed players (like a recorder/whistle mouthpiece) and one for reed players.
    The French horn mp3 - was the intention to play vibrato-less?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero
    As primarily a sax player who is learning GPO, Im really interested in this. I have seen the thing, but am not sure about its
    mouthpiece - does it really give you real expression?
    Well, it does have a bite sensor in it, mapped to pitch-bend (you can also set it to send out cc18 simultaneously).

I understand there are two - one for non reed players (like a recorder/whistle mouthpiece) and one for reed players.
    That's right, but I only use the mouthpiece that engages the bite sensor, the one for reed players.

The French horn mp3 - was the intention to play vibrato-less?
    Sort of. That was an old Renaissance tune, and I've been conditioned (wrongly, it turns out) by decades of listening to vibrato-less early music recordings. But mostly it was vibrato-less because I haven't really gotten the hang of doing a good lip vibrato on the WX5. Breath-pressure vibrato or tremolo, as you might use with a flute patch, comes pretty easily, and I've played around with reprogramming some kinds of wind patches (both in GPO and on my VL-70 physical modeling synth) so that pitch responds ever so slightly to breath pressure, in addition to the usual loudness and timbre response. I think it's probably true for some blown instruments that the pitch vibrato comes about partly as a result of variations in breath pressure. The really tough one, for me at least, is trying to do a lip vibrato with the WX5 that sounds anything remotely like a violin vibrato.

If you want to hear demos of WX5-driven music played with plenty of lip-vibrato (on the clarinet, too!), give a listen to the clips about halfway down the page here:

http://www.patchmanmusic.com/turbovl.html

I think it's safe to say GPO is at least as responsive to WX5 lip controls as these VL-70 patches.

I'm at my real job now, or I'd try whopping up a clip with a GPO patch with some lip vibrato (bad as I am at it!) for you to hear.

Greg

Thanks for all that -very helpful. Now if only you would lend me £500 Just kidding.

\
    Dan, could it be that you haven't yet tried dropping down the "velocity" menu and choosing a different controller, and then setting the slider over to the right? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

Greg[/QUOTE]

Yes I did all that, but can't get much dynamic range at all. My question is
    how does one implement the X control download. Unzipping the download simply puts the files wherever you happen to direct the zip program.

I can't find any directions on how to "install" or "implement" the stuff.

Dan

Just place the files in:

C:\Programs\Garritan Personal Orchestra\Library\Instruments

Right next to the dry and wet folders.

These are PC instructions of course, I'm not sure how the Mac version would differ. The main thing is, they just go where the other library files are.

Go Back to forum