• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: setting up LAN for DAW and gigas

Share/Bookmark

OT: setting up LAN for DAW and gigas

Hi there,

I just had to re-install my Windows XP (corrupted files - sluggish, irregular behavior) on my DAW (running SX). All is working so much better now, BUT I cannot, for the life of me remember how to set the LAN back up on that DAW

Here's my set up:

puter #1 (DAW running SX and plugs)

puter #2 (running giga)

puter #3 (running giga)

puter #4 (primarily for internet - uploading to website and/or ftp sites)

All hard wired (Ethernet cables) into a Dlink router.

I had my setup where, from the "SX" puter, I could transfer files between any of the computers back and forth (shared folders).

I don't want to run a 'network wizard' for fear something will be installed that I don't want.

Once all these puters 'see' each other like I use to have it (before the windows reinstall), I can re-setup MOL fine.

Can anyone give me a short tutorial on this? Let me know if you need any more information

Many thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: OT: setting up LAN for DAW and gigas

Control Panel - Network Connections
    Choose your Network Card - right click Properties
    Choose the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - and enter the info needed.
    You have to assign an IP adress in case your router does not do this automatically.
    Hope that helped

Quote Originally Posted by audiophile
    Control Panel - Network Connections
    Choose your Network Card - right click Properties
    Choose the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - and enter the info needed.
    You have to assign an IP adress in case your router does not do this automatically.
    Hope that helped
    Hi Audiophile,

Yes I have this much done but I cannot figure out how to set up the 'shared folders' so I can send files back and forth between puters.

Thanks for any help you can be.

Rob

Note: (I have set up each computer with a static IP address (MOL seems to work better for me in the past this way. Just as you suggested)
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

In Windows XP, there is a small setting which makes this kind of sharing folder a bit tricky to understand. You should turn this setting off and the world will open up before your eyes ... ( not really, but things will get easier)

I'm on a non-english Windows so the names I describe down here might not be perfectly correct on your screen, but hopefully you should be able to find what I'm suggesting:

-Go to My computer
    -Select "Tools" from the top menu (the menu item to the right of "Favorites")
    -Select the last option - Folder Settings
    -In the pop-up, select the second flap, called viewing
    -In the scrollable window below (called "Advanced Settings") de-select the first checkbox - called "Use simplified file sharing".
    - OK your way back out.

Now, find a folder which you would like to be accessible from the other computers. Right-click on it, select "Properties" and go to the flap "Share, or maybe yours is called Sharing". If you were familiar with this box before, you will notice that the contents of it will have changed since you deslected that checkbox above.

The rest should be self-explanatory if you look at the settings and options in the window. Select "Share this folder" and name it in such a way that you will immediatly know what folder it is when you see it from the other computers.

That's it.

Just remember, all your computer must be using the same "Workgroup" name to get access to each other. The workgroup name, as well as other nessecary settings will be setable from the "Configure Network Guide" available in the controlpanel.

Good Luck
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    -In the pop-up, select the second flap, called viewing
    -In the scrollable window below (called "Advanced Settings") de-select the first checkbox - called "Use simplified file sharing".
    - OK your way back out.

Hi Tomke,

I have navigated to this location and the "Use simplified file sharing" is not in the this list. The first item in Advance settings is "Automatically search for network folders and printers" I am running XP Home.

Nothing else in this list even mentions 'file sharing'.

Thanks

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

For XP Professional it is: Right Click on the folder (within explorer) - sharing and security

Thanks for the help everyone. Got file sharing working again (jeez, I am so inept at 'networking'.)

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum