• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonata No. 1 in G minor - BWV 1001 - 1st Movement - Adagio

Share/Bookmark

Sonata No. 1 in G minor - BWV 1001 - 1st Movement - Adagio

Hey guys,

Just finished this Solo violin piece, which i turned into a Violin Quartet piece. its J.S. Bach's Sonata No. 1 in G minor - BWV 1001 - 1st Movement: Adagio.

I used GPO only, all three KS Solo Violins. w00t!

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Re: Sonata No. 1 in G minor - BWV 1001 - 1st Movement - Adagio

hi Sam, the link is not working

Sorry, try it now.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Don't take any of this the wrong way as it is meant to help you strengthen the piece.

I'm not familiar with the piece, but there are a lot of places that could benefit from legato. I'm not sure of Bach's intent though, so this may be pretty minor.

There's some really good stuff going on in this. There are some really shrill notes though. I'm not sure if that is GPO or not. Maybe a high pass filter on your eq roll some of that off.

Also, there's not a lot of depth to the ambience of the piece. It is very dry, but at the same time I hear the tail. Maybe wet it up a little since the vibrato stands out a lot with it this 'close.' Another thing would be to pick another dynamic level since it sounds like it is at a pretty high level. But like I said, I am unfamiliar with the original.

I like the use of portamento and it works well in the piece. Especially since the violin is so exposed. Another thing I would say is that it could use a bit more polish dynamically, since it seems to stay at a pretty constant level throughout. Play the violin in your mind and insert natural deminuendo's (spelling?) into the piece based on bow placement during the passage.

As you can see, I'm being particularly nitpicky tonight. Forgive me. Take it all with a grain of sand. You still da man.

Sam, I'm afraid Joseph is right. See my earlier comments on your cello rendition. Again, the strings here have a noticeable mouth organ sound at times.

Frank

Go Back to forum