• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano Future - Calling ALL Master-Piano Samplers.

Share/Bookmark

Piano Future - Calling ALL Master-Piano Samplers.

I have noticed that increased consumerism due to the group buys has lead to an a bull rush of interest in piano samples. The sales are mostly likely around to not only increase sales, and popularity, but to also boost competition.

Yet inside I ask, what is next. Something next has to come. I speak not of,
    "Hey let's sample piano X and Y." Which is good, don't get me wrong, but where is the technology heading? It seems that as of now GS 3 with Giga pulse is HOT, but even as new technology comes to the studios of many, new ideas are brewing in the pot. Body resonance, IR, down pedal samples. ect.ect.

What is the future? What are your theories? Where is this going to go? I am expecting that something GRAND will hit around Christmas, seeing as that you can never sample enough pianos, but what about the GRANDFATHER of all the pianos? I know one of the producers here is on to something by now. I am talking HUGE!!! 20 different kind of pianos all with variable functions, surround Impulse, and so on. In all, I am mainly curious about the technology.

Thanks,
    Sean R. Beeson

Re: Piano Future - Calling ALL Master-Piano Samplers.

I think the future is not sampling but modelling. What is offered today in terms of sampled pianos are about as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Fogwall
    I think the future is not sampling but modelling. What is offered today in terms of sampled pianos are about as good as it gets.
    I've got to disagree with you on your last statement. The sampling can always be better. We have yet to have a sampled piano that sounds like the real thing in a solo jazz piano or combo setting. The closest is Hans's Malmsjo, but that sounds like a recording from yesteryear (as beautiful as it is), and not so much a modern jazz piano sound. Am I wrong to think that recording techniques (i.e. the jazz uber-engineers keep their various techniques pretty close to the vest...Rudy van Gelder won't even let folks take pictures of his mic setups) must play at least some part in this? I understand that being a great recording engineer may not translate to being a great samplist and vice versa, but I've yet to hear a sampled piano sound anything like the engineering work of Jim Anderson, Jan Erik Kongshaug, or Rudy van Gelder.

Post Re: Piano Future - Calling ALL Master-Piano Samplers.

Perhaps you are right, Jazzbozo. I suspect the developers here will strongly support your statement...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbozo
    (i.e. the jazz uber-engineers keep their various techniques pretty close to the vest...Rudy van Gelder won't even let folks take pictures of his mic setups)
    I wonder what would've happened if Joe Meek would've done the same. We wouldn't even be using close miking now.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    I wonder what would've happened if Joe Meek would've done the same. We wouldn't even be using close miking now.
    Well... somebody would have thoght of it. But when??

Go Back to forum